Air Force Falls to No. 26 BYU, 7-0
The 26th-ranked BYU women's tennis team shut out Air Force Saturday, 7-0, at the Academy. With the victory, BYU improved to 16-3 overall and 5-0 in the Mountain West Conference, while the Falcons fell to 8-12 overall and 0-5 in league play.
BYU took an early 1-0 lead by capturing all three doubles matches. The No. 1 match was the best of the three, as the Cougars' No. 1 team of Anastasia Sourkova and Jennifer Miccoli defeated Air Force junior Kat Bushey and sophomore Karissa Walker, 8-6.
The Cougars rolled in the six singles matches, winning all of them in straight sets. Air Force freshman Lauren Wilson took Sofia Holden to 7-5 in the first set of the No. 4 match, but Holden won the second set, 6-1.
Air Force plays its final home match of the season on Sunday, April 9 against the Utah Utes beginning at 10 a.m.
No. 26 BYU 7, Air Force 0
April 9, 2005 @ USAFA, Colo.
1. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Kat Bushey, 6-1, 6-3
2. Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def Karissa Walker, 6-1, 6-2
3. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Katie Tomkie, 6-1, 6-2
4. Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Lauren Wilson, 7-5, 6-1
5. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Miclynn Crail, 6-0, 6-1
6. Hanni Wittenbecher (BYU) def. Liza Vaccaro, 6-3, 6-2
1. Sourkova/Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) def. Bushey/Walker, 8-6
2. Jones/Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Wilson/Erika Shortridge, 8-3
3. Boulytcheva/Holden (BYU) def. Vaccaro/Kelly Morgan, 8-1