Colorado State Downs Air Force, 6-1
Colorado State won two of three doubles matches and five of six singles contests to defeat Air Force, 6-1, in Mountain West Conference women's tennis action Sunday in Laramie, Wyo. With the loss, Air Force fell to 8-11 overall and 0-4 in the MWC.
Freshman Lauren Wilson had a hand in both of AFA's individual wins Sunday, winning the No. 4 singles match when CSU's Jessica Jones defaulted with Wilson leading 5-0 in the first set, and teaming with fellow freshman Erika Shortridge to defeat Jones and Carla Pallares, 8-6, for their second consecutive victory at No. 2 doubles.
The Rams won the other two doubles matches, including the No. 1 match, where Emily Kirchem and Anne Anderson defeated Air Force's Kat Bushey and Karissa Walker, 8-2, to claim the doubles point.
Kirchem and Bushey put together the best singles match of the day at the No. 1 position. Kirchem rallied to beat Bushey, 3-6, 6-2, 7-6, winning the third-set tiebreak 8-6. Anderson won the No. 2 match over Walker, 7-5, 7-6, while Pallares beat AFA's Katie Tomkie, 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot. CSU won the Nos. 5 and 6 matches in straight sets.
Air Force returns home to continue MWC play next Saturday, April 9 against BYU, beginning at 10 a.m.
Colorado State 6, Air Force 1
Sunday, April 3, Laramie, Wyo .
1. Emily Kirchem (CSU) def. Kat Bushey, 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (6)
2. Anne Andersen (CSU) def. Karissa Walker, 7-5, 7-6
3. Carla Pallares (CSU) def. Katie Tomkie, 6-2, 6-1
4. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Jessica Jones, 5-0, def.
5. Alexandra Paganetti (CSU) def. Liza Vaccaro, 6-2, 6-0
6. Jasmin Singh (CSU) def. Miclynn Crail, 6-4, 6-3
1. Andersen/Kirchem (CSU) def. Bushey/Walker, 8-2
2. Erika Shortridge/Wilson (AFA) def. Jones/Pallares, 8-6
3. Paganetti/Singh (CSU) def. Vaccaro/Kelly Morgan, 8-5