Falcons Drop 5-2 Decision to CSU
The Air Force women's tennis team lost a 5-2 decision to Colorado State Sunday at the Academy. Air Force fell to 7-10 overall and 1-1 in Mountain West Conference matches. CSU won all three doubles matches and four of the six singles contests, including three three-setters, to improve to 5-5 and 1-0 this season.
The Rams clinched the doubles point by winning all three doubles matches. Emily Kirchem and Anne Anderson beat the Falcons' No. 1 duo of senior Kat Bushey and freshman Christine Abayan, 9-7. Carla Pllares and Lauren Strasburger beat sophomore Lauren Wilson and freshman Meghan Kiser at the No. 2 match, 8-6, while Jessica Jones and Jasmin Singh won the No. 3 match over junior Kelly Morgan and sophomore Erika Shortridge, 8-3.
CSU then won the team match by winning the first four singles matches. Kirchem beat Bushey, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 1, while Anderson defeated Abayan, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2. Strasburger also won in three sets, defeating Wilson at the No. 3 spot, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 and Pallares beat Shortridge, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 at No. 4.
Morgan defeated Jones at No. 5 when Jones retired after losing the first set, 6-1, and Kiser beat Singh, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 6 spot.
Air Force returns to action on Friday, March 17, when it hosts Missouri at 10 a.m. and UCCS at 3 p.m.
Colorado State 5, Air Force 2
1. Emily Kirchem (CSU) def. Kat Bushey, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Anne Anderson (CSU) def. Christine Abayan, 6-1, 6-4
3. Lauren Strasburger (CSU) def. Lauren Wilson, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Carla Pallares (CSU) def. Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Kelly Morgan (AFA) def. Jessica Jones, 6-1, ret.
6. Meghan Kiser (AFA) def. Jasmin Singh, 6-4, 7-5
1. Kirchem/Anderson (CSU) def. Bushey/Abayan, 9-7
2. Pallares/Strasburger (CSU) def. Wilson/Kiser, 8-6
3. Jones/Singh (CSU) def. Shortridge/Morgan, 8-3