Falcons Beat UTEP, 6-1, and Metro State, 7-0
The Air Force women's tennis team dominated two matches Saturday at the Academy, defeating UTEP, 6-1, and Metro State, 7-0. With the two victories, the Falcons improve to 7-9 overall entering their Mountain West Conference match against Colorado State on Sunday, March 12 at 1 p.m. at the Academy.
The Falcons won all three doubles matches in each team match. Senior Kat Bushey and freshman Christine Abayan continued their outstanding play at the No. 1 position. They beat Megan Pritchard and Danni King of UTEP, 8-5. Sophomore Lauren Wilson and freshman Meghan Kiser won the No. 2 match over Teri Wilkerson and Sandra Spirta, 8-6, while junior Kelly Morgan and sophomore Erika Shortridge defeated UTEP's Kat Palider and Vicky Michaud, 8-3.
Air Force kept the momentum in singles play as Bushey (No. 1), Abayan (No. 2), Wilson (No. 3) and Morgan (No. 5) each won in straight sets. Shortridge posted a come from behind 1-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory over Spirta at the No. 4 spot. Michaud collected UTEP's lone victory, beating Kiser in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5, at the No. 6 position.
Against Metro State, the Falcons won all nine matches, including all three doubles matches 8-1. The Falcons then continued their dominance in singles, winning all six in straight sets.
Air Force will look for its fifth straight overall win and second league win on Sunday against CSU.
Air Force 6, UTEP 1
1. Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Teri Wilkerson, 6-3, 6-2
2. Christine Abayan (AFA) def. Megan Pritchard, 6-2, 6-1
3. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Kat Palider, 6-4, 7-5
4. Erika Shortridge (AFA) def. Sandra Spirta, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Kelly Morgan (AFA) def. Danni King, 7-5, 6-4
6. Vicky Michaud (UTEP) def. Meghan Kiser, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
1. Bushey/Abayan (AFA) def. Pritchard/King, 8-5
2. Wilson/Kiser (AFA) def. Wilkerson/Spirta, 8-6
3. Shortridge/Morgan (AFA) def. Palider/Michaud, 8-3
Air Force 7, Metro State 0
1. Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Mitra Hirad, 6-2, 6-0
2. Christine Abayan (AFA) def. Miriam Evangelista, 6-2, 6-0
3. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Ragnhild Kinoshita, 6-0, 6-0
4. Erika Shortridge (AFA) def. Akiko Kinoshita, 6-0, 6-4
5. Kelly Morgan (AFA) def. Tia Mahoney, 6-0, 6-2
6. Meghan Kiser (AFA) def. Elizabeth Kuhn, 6-1, 6-0
1. Bushey/Abayan (AFA) def. Evangelista/Mahoney, 8-1
2. Wilson/Kiser (AFA) def. Hirad/Kuhn, 8-1
3. Shortridge/Morgan (AFA) def. R. Kinoshita/A. Kinoshita, 8-1