Falcons Sneak Past Wyoming, 4-3, in MWC Opener
The Air Force women's tennis team won a thrilling 4-3 match against Wyoming in the Falcons' first Mountain West Conference contest of the season Saturday at the Academy. Air Force won two of the three doubles matches then split the six sinfgles contests to improve to 5-9 overall and 1-0 in the MWC.
The Falcons won at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, including an 8-3 victory by senior Kat Bushey and freshman Christine Abayan at the top spot over Wyoming's Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski. Junior Kelly Morgan and sophomore Erika Shortridge came from behind to win the No. 3 match over Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson, 8-6, and clain the doubles point.
In singles, Bushey defeated Chien, 6-4, 6-1, to put the Falcons up 2-0. Wyoming countered and toed the match at 2-all with victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots. Morgan pulled off an improbable come from behind win at No. 4, rallying from losing the first set and down 4-3 in the second to beat Andrea House, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5. Freshman Meghan Kiser clinched the match for Air Force with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 6 against Brown.
"Everyone showed up today and did a great job of competing," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "Meghan Kiser did an outstanding job and Kelly Morgan persevered through the entire day to help us win the match."
Air Force is off until next Saturday, March 11, when they host UTEP at 9 a.m. and Metro State at 1 p.m.
Air Force 4, Wyoming 3
1. Kat Bushey (AF) def. Patricia Chien, 6-4, 6-1
2. Karolina Rowinski (WYO) def. Christine Abayan, 6-4, 7-6
3. Jamie Nelson (WYO) def. Lauren Wilson, 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
4. Kelly Morgan (AF) def. Andrea House, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Amy Senko (WYO) def. Erika Shortridge, 3-6, 6-3, 5-5 (10-4)
6. Meghan Kiser (AF) def. Michelle Brown, 6-1, 6-4
1. Bushey/Abayan (AF) def. Chien/Rowinski, 8-3
2. House/Senko (WYO) def. Kiser/Wilson, 8-2
3. Shortridge/Morgan (AF) def. Brown/Nelson, 8-6