Texas Tech Beats Air Force, 6-1
The Air Force women's tennis team suffered its fifth consecutive loss Friday, falling to 65th-ranked Texas Tech, 6-1 at the Academy, Air Force fell to 3-8 this season, while the Red Raiders improved to 5-3.
Texas Tech captured the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Air Force's duo of senior Kat Bushey and freshman Christine Abayan won the No. 1 match, defeating Tara Browning and Lakann Wagley, 8-5. Bushey and Abayan are now 18-8 overall and 7-4 at the No. 1 spot.
The Red raiders continued their momentum in the singles matches, winning five of the six. Browning took the top match, downing Bushey, 6-1, 6-3, while Cigdem Duru beat Abayan at the No. 2 spot, 6-3, 6-0. The best match of the day was at No. 4 singles, where Tech's Samantha van def Drift defeated sophomore Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 3-6, (10-8).
Junior Kelly Morgan captured Air Force's only singles victory, beating Erin Hunter, 8-5, at the No. 6 position.
Air Force continues play at the Academy on Saturday, Feb. 25 against Abilene Christian (9 a.m.) and CSU-Pueblo (1 p.m.)
Texas Tech 6, Air Force 1
1. Tara Browning (TTU) def. Kat Bushey, 6-1, 6-3
2. Cigdem Duru (TTU) def. Christine Abayan, 6-3, 6-0
3. Janet Durham (TTU) def. Lauren Wilson, 6-4, 6-2
4. Samantha van der Drift (TTU) def. Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 3-6, (10-8)
5. Lakann Wagley (TTU) def. Meghan Kiser, 8-2
6. Kelly Morgan (AF) def. Erin Hunter, 8-5
1. Bushey/Abayan (AF) def. Browning/Wagley, 8-5
2. Duru/Durham (TTU) def. Kiser/Wilson, 8-3
3. Hunter/Katja Kovacic (TTU) def Shortridge/Morgan, 8-3