Falcons Fall to Texas State, 4-3
The Air Force women's tennis team suffered its third consecutive 4-3 defeat Sunday, losing to Texas State at the Academy. With the loss, Air Force fell to 3-7 this season.
Texas State won the top two doubles matches to claim the doubles point. Air Force's lone victory came at No. 3, where junior Kelly Morgan and sophomore Erika Shortridge defeated Natalie McLeod and Sumarie Muller, 8-4.
The two teams then split the six singles matches, giving Texas State the team win. Senior Kat Bushey won for the sixth time in her last seven matches at No. 1 singles, defating Ashley Ellis, 6-3, 6-2. Freshman Christine Abayan also won in straight sets, winning the No. 2 match over Lainy Chafitz, 6-2, 6-2. Junior Kelly Morgan also won for the Falcons, defeating Jana Cucciriello, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 6.
Texas State won the other three singles matches, including a three-set win by Leja Sirola over AFA's Lauren Wilson at No. 3, 6-0, 2-6, 6-4.
Air Force continues play at the Academy on Friday, Feb. 24 against Texas Tech beginning at 10 a.m.
Texas State 4, Air Force 3
1. Kat Bushey (AF) def. Ashley Ellis, 6-3, 6-2
2. Christine Abayan (AF) def. Lainy Chafitz, 6-2, 6-2
3. Leja Sirola (TS) def. Lauren Wilson, 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
4. Christina Amo (TS) def. Meghan Kiser, 6-0, 6-1
5. Sumarie Muller (TS) def. Erika Shortridge, 6-0, 6-2
6. Kelly Morgan (AF) def. Jana Cucciriello, 6-4, 6-3
1. Ellis/Chafitz (TS) def. Bushey/Abayan, 8-5
2. Sirola / Cucciriello (TS) def. Kiser/Wilson, 8-2
3. Shortridge/Morgan (AF) def. Muller/Natalie McLeod, 8-4