Army Defeats Air Force, 5-2, to Regain Gideon Cup
The Army women's tennis team reclaimed the Gideon Cup this afternoon with a 5-2 win over arch-rival Air Force in a non-conference match at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center.
Army earns the Gideon Cup, given to the winner of the Army/Air Force women's tennis match, for the first time in six years and the fifth time since its inception in the 1990-91 season. The Black Knights move to 6-2 on the season while Air Force falls to 2-3. Air Force is now 5-4 in competitions with Army this season.
The Black Knights began the match by sweeping the doubles point. The duo of Marissa Limsiaco and Amy Morgenstern downed Kat Bushey and Karissa Walker, 9-8, at No. 1. At No. 2, Megan Noble and Jennifer Segar upended AFA's Miclynn Crail and Katie Tomkie, 8-2, while Pam Chavez and Amanda Paluch cruised past Erika Shortridge and Lauren Wilson, 8-1, at No. 3. Army quickly built upon that lead in singles play. After taking the first set 6-3, Lyndsey Nott broke Shortridge three times as she blanked her 6-0 in the second set to put Army's second point and first singles victory on the scoreboard.
Christine Ong followed Nott's triumph a few minutes later with a 6-1, 6-2, victory of her own over Walker in No. 2 singles to move the Black Knights to a 3-0 advantage. Morgenstern secured the Gideon Cup's return to the West Point as she claimed the clinching point with a 6-4, 6-1, win over Tomkie at No. 3. Segar supplied an additional singles win with a 6-3, 6-4, triumph over Liza Vaccaro at No. 5.
Bushey won her fourth consecutive match at No. 1 singles for the Falcons, defeating Limsiaco 6-7, 6-3, (10-4), while Wilson won the No. 4 match over Noble in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3.
The Falcons (3-3), close out their road trip to west Point on Sunday with a pair of matches against Binghamton and Connecticut.
Army 5, Air Force 2
1. Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Marissa Limsiaco, 6-7, 6-3, (10-4)
2. Christine Ong (Army) def. Karissa Walker, 6-1, 6-2
3. Amy Morgenstern (Army) def. Katie Tomkie, 6-4, 6-1
4. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Megan Noble, 6-1, 6-3
5. Jennifer Segar (Army) def. Liza Vaccaro, 6-3, 6-4
6. Lyndsey Nott (Army) def. Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 6-0
1. Limsiaco/Morgenstern (Army) def. Bushey/Walker, 9-8
2. Noble/Segar (Army) def. Crail/Tomkie, 8-2
3. Pam Chavez/Amanda Paluch (Army) def. Shortridge/Wilson, 8-1