Falcons Blank Northern Colorado, 7-0
The Air Force women's tennis team won its third match in two days Sunday, defeating Northern Colorado, 7-0, at the Academy. Air Force won two of the three doubles matches, then swept the six singles matches for the victory.
The Falcons (3-3) won all six singles matches in straight sets, including a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles by senior Kat Bushey over UNC's Karen Groll. Freshman Christine Abayan defeated Meredith Krystofik by the same score at the No. 2 spot.
In doubles action, Bushey and Abayan posted an 8-4 victory over Krystofik and Christina Shelly at No. 1. UNC's No. 2 team of Groll and Renee Nuccio defeated Air Force's sophomore duo of Erika Shortridge and Lauren Wilson, 8-1, while junior Kelly Morgan paired with freshman Meghan Kiser to win the No. 3 match, 8-0.
"The amount of fight and effort this team put forth these past two days was amazing," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "These matches were much tougher than what the dual score indicated. This team does not know what the word "quit" means -- I could not be prouder of everyone."
Air Force hits the road next weekend for a pair of matches in Lincoln, Neb. The Falcons will play the University of Nebraska on Friday, Feb. 3, then play Drake University on Saturday, Feb. 4.
Air Force 7, Northern Colorado 0
1. Kat Bushey (AFA) def. Karen Groll, 6-4, 6-4
2. Christine Abayan (AFA) def. Meredith Krystofik, 6-4, 6-4
3. Lauren Wilson (AFA) def. Renee Nuccio, 7-5, 6-2
4. Meghan Kiser (AFA) def. Christina Shelly, 6-3, 7-6
5. Erika Shortridge (AFA) def. Kellie Crail, 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelly Morgan (AFA) def. Carmen Vasos, 6-2, 6-2
1. Bushey/Abayan (AFA) def. Krystofik/Shelly, 8-4
2. Groll/Nuccio (UNC) def. Wilson/Shortridge, 8-1
3. Kiser/Morgan (AFA) def. Crail/Newmaier, 8-0