Air Force Falls to CU, 7-0, in Spring Opener
The Air Force women's tennis team opened its 2006 spring season Wednesday, falling to the University of Colorado, 7-0, in Boulder, Colo. CU, ranked 55th in the country and boasting three nationally ranked singles players, won two of three doubles matches and all six singles contests.
The lone Falcon victory came at No. 1 doubles, where senior Kat Bushey and freshman Christine Abayan rallied from a 4-1 deficit to defeat Jessica Vanderys and Monica Milewski, 8-6. Bushey and Abayan, ranked No. 8 in the Central Region, improved to 12-4 this season.
Air Force played tough in the other two doubles matches, but came up just short of winning the doubles point. Sophomores Lauren Wilson and Erika Shortridge fell to Martina Sedivec and Gleisy Torres Torres, 8-6, at No. 2, while junior Kelly Morgan and freshman Meghan Kiser dropped the No. 3 match to Ewa Losinsky and Veera Nurmi, 8-5.
"Our doubles teams played very well today," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "We had plenty of opportunities to win the doubles point but just could not capitalize."
In singles play, Bushey won the only set for Air Force, pushing the nation's 39th-ranked Vanderys to three sets before losing, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Shortridge (No. 4) and Morgan (No. 5) each took her opponent to a first-set tiebreak before falling, 7-6, 6-1.
"It is rare that we will play a team that has three nationally ranked singles players, so this was great experience for us," said Gidley.
The Falcons are back in action this weekend with a pair of matches on the East Coast. Air Force plays Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday, Jan. 21 (7 p.m.) and William & Mary on Sunday, Jan. 22 (11 a.m.), both at William & Mary.
#55 University of Colorado 7, Air Force 0
Jan. 18, 2006 at Boulder, Colo.
1. (39) Jessica Vanderys (CU) def. Kat Bushey, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
2. (56) Monica Milewski (CU) def. Lauren Wilson, 6-1, 6-0
3. (84) Veera Nurmi (CU) def. Christine Abayan, 6-2, 6-2
4. Martina Sedivec (CU) def. Erika Shortridge, 7-6, 6-1
5. Ewa Losinsky (CU) def. Kelly Morgan, 7-6, 6-1
6. Franziska Jendrain (CU) def. Meghan Kiser, 6-1, 6-0
1. Bushey/Abayan (AFA) def. Vanderys/Milewski, 8-6
2. Sedivec/Gleisy Torres Torres (CU) def. Wilson/Shortridge, 8-6
3. Losinsky/Nurmi (CU) def. Morgan/Kiser, 8-5