Sept. 14, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team won two matches at home Saturday, defeating CSU-Pueblo, 6-1, and Metro State, 7-0. The Falcons improved to 4-0 this season.
Air Force won all three doubles matches and the top five singles matches against CSU-Pueblo, then won all nine matches against Metro State. Senior Anastasia Hueffner, sophomore Mary Meyers and freshman Chloe Forlini each won two singles matches in straight sets.
“This was a great weekend for our players to get a lot of match play before heading to Navy this week,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “With eight freshmen and one sophomore we are a little bit on the young side. To get to play as many matches as we did this weekend gave some much needed experience to our team and allowed us to see how our players would compete against someone other than ourselves.”
The Falcons travel to Annapolis, Md., next weekend for the Navy Invitational beginning on Friday, Sept. 20.
Air Force 6, CSU-Pueblo 1
1. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Teresa Haro Score: 6-0, 6-1
2. Tasha Hueffner (AF) def. Toni Alvarez Score: 6-4, 6-1
3. Chloe Forlini (AF) def. Katie Howe Score: 6-1, 6-1
4. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Gia Montoya Score: 6-0, 6-0
5. Hannah Garcia-Park (AF) def. Brittani Trevithick Score: 6-1, 6-2
6. Sarah Coy (CSU-P) def. Gabby Briggs Score: 6-4, 6-7 (5), (10-3)
* Ellen Barry (AF) def. Brooke Trevithick Score: 8-4
Air Force 7, Metro State 0
1. Tiffany Tran / Jocelle Rudico (AF) def. W. Holopaine / Larream, 8-1
2. Natasha Rizvi / Marcelli Magday (AF) def. N. Holopaine / Olopeza, 8-1
3. Chloe Forlini / Lily Forlini (AF) def. Vaswig / Thornton, 8-1
1. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Naomi Holopaine, 6-1, 6-2
2. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Wanda Holopaine, 6-0, 6-4
3. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Christina Olopeza, 6-1, 6-2
4. Tasha Hueffner (AF) def. Taylor Larrean, 6-0, 6-1
5. Marcelli Magday (AF) def. Taylor Thornton, 6-1, 6-0
6. Chloe Forlini (AF) def. Whitney Vaswig, 6-1, 6-0