April 24, 2011
The Air Force women's tennis team closed out its 2011 regular season Sunday with a 6-1 loss to the University of Wyoming in Laramie. With the victory, the Cowgirls improved to 13-8 overall and 3-5 in the MWC, while the Falcons fell to 16-10 overall and 2-6 in league play.
The Falcons will be the No. 7 seed in next week's MWC Championships in Fort Collins and play second-seed Utah on Thursday, April 28 in the quarterfinals. Time of the match is yet to be determined.
The Cowgirls took an early 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. Simona Synkova and Kim Van Ginkel won at the No. 1 spot, 8-3, over junior Tahlia Smoke and sophomore Melissa Cecil. At No. 2, Alexandra Kovacs and Rebecca Berger downed senior Christen Monreal and freshman Anastasia Hueffner, 8-2, while Veronica Popovici and Carly Van Hollen beat senior Sarah Cassman and sophomore Hannah Dake, 8-3, at No. 3.
With Cecil (AFA's regular No. 2 player) sitting out the singles play, Wyoming won five of the six contests. Hueffner captured the lone win for Air Force, rallying from a set down to defeat Van Hollen, 1-6, 6-2, 10-4 at the No. 5 spot. With the victory, Hueffner posted her 20th overall singles win of the season.
Wyoming won the other five contests, including the No. 3 match in three sets, where van Ginkel defeated Cassman, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. The Cowgirls won the other four matches in straight sets.
"It was a tough morning for our team," said head coach Kim Gidley. "We came out asleep in the doubles but regrouped well in the singles. Tasha (Hueffner) had a great win in singles coming back after losing the first set. It was a hard fought weekend overall."
Wyoming 6, Air Force 1
April 23, 2011
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Christen Monreal, 6-1, 6-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Tahlia Smoke, 6-3, 7-6
3. Kim van Ginkel (WYO) def. Sarah Cassman, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Hannah Dake, 6-1, 6-2
5. Anastasia Hueffner (AFA) def. Carly Van Hollen, 1-6, 6-2, 10-4
6. Rebecca Berger (WYO) def. Megumi Voight, 6-0, 6-0
1. Synkova / van Ginkel (WYO) def. Smoke / Melissa Cecil, 8-3
2. Kovacs / Berger (WYO) def. Monreal / Hueffner, 8-2
3. Popovici / Van Hollen (WYO) def. Dake / Cassman, 8-3