April 19, 2014
The Air Force women's tennis team closed out its regular season with a 7-0 loss to New Mexico on Saturday in Albuquerque, N.M. The Lobos improved to 15-7 and 4-1 in the Mountain West, while the Falcons fell to 17-8 overall and 13-8 this spring, including a 2-3 league record.
After an intense hour of doubles competition, the Lobos came out with the point. Rachana Bhat and Susan Baklini recorded an 8-3 win over senior Anastasia Hueffner and Marcelli Magday at the No. 3 spot to give UNM a slight lead, but the No. 1 and No. 2 courts were tightly contested the whole way throughout. Misa Bezdickova and Lizette Blankers pulled off an 8-6 victory over junior Natasha Rizvi and sophomore Mary Meyers to seal the deal for the Lobos. The No. 2 match was then pulled off the court.
The Lobos gained an early lead in singles play and never looked back. Meredith Hopson was the first off the court at the No. 3 spot when Rizvi retired due to an injury after losing the first set 6-1. Dulski tallied the third win for the Lobos 6-0, 6-2 over Forlini at No. 5 and Smith clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 4 spot over Magday.
The Falcons will travel to Fresno, Calif., next week for the 2014 Mountain West Championships, which begin Wednesday, April 23.
New Mexico 7, Air Force 0
Saturday, April 19, 2014
1) Misa Bezdickova / Lizette Blankers (UNM) def. Natasha Rizvi / Mary Meyers, 8-6
2) Natasha Smith / Dominique Dulski (UNM) vs. Tiffany Tran / Lily Forlini, 7-6 DNF
3) Susan Bhat / Rachana Baklini (UNM) def. Anastasia Hueffner / Marcelli Magday, 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1) Bezdickova (UNM) def. Tran, 7-5, 6-2
2) Blankers (UNM) def. Meyers, 6-4, 7-6
3) Meredith Hopson (UNM) def. Rizvi, 6-1, ret.
4) Smith (UNM) def. Magday, 6-1, 6-2
5) Dulski (UNM) def. Forlini, 6-0, 6-2
6) Bhat (UNM) def. Tracy Landram, 7-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 6