April 6, 2014
The Air Force women’s tennis team did not lose a match en route to a dominating 7-0 victory over Colorado State Sunday afternoon in the 2013-14 home finale at the Academy. Air Force improved to 17-7 overall and 13-7 this spring and is now 2-2 in the Mountain West. The Rams fell to 3-9 overall and 0-3 in league play.
The Falcons jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. AFA’s No. 2 team of junior Tiffany Tran and freshman Lily Forlini got things started with an 8-0 win over Mollie Cooper and Kaley Schultz. Senior Anastasia Hueffner and junior Marcelli Magday followed with an 8-2 triumph over Maddie Buxton and Celine Voss at the No. 3 spot and junior Natasha Rizvi and sophomore Mary Meyers finished it off with an 8-6 victory at the top spot over Lauren Pick and Adriana Wojakowska.
Air Force kept the momentum throughout the six singles matches, winning five of them in straight sets. Meyers was off the court first after a 7-5, 6-1 win over Wojakowska, followed by Rizvi defeating Cooper, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3. Magday then clinched the team match with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Buxton at No. 4.
Tran won the No. 1 match, 6-3, 6-4, over Pick, Landram defeated Kwynn Ecton, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 6 and Forlini completed the sweep with a 6-1, 4-6, (10-4) win over Voss at the No. 5 position.
"This was a great way to finish out our only home weekend with our senior weekend and a conference win," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "This weekend was very special with so many parents traveling from all over the United States to be here (7 of the 9 parents came out). As for the team, this is a great place to be at this late in the year and we are really looking forward to finishing conference play and the tournament. The team is competing well and they are excited."
The Falcons wrap up their regular season on Saturday, April 19 against the New Mexico Lobos in Albuquerque, N.M.
Air Force 7, Colorado State 0
Sunday, April 6, 2014
1. Natasha Rizvi / Mary Meyers (AF) def. Lauren Pick / Adriana Wojakowska, 8-6
2. Tiffany Tran / Lily Forlini (AF) def. Mollie Cooper / Kaley Schultz, 8-0
3. Anastasia Hueffner / Marcelli Magday (AF) def. Maddie Buxton / Celine Voss, 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Lauren Pick, 6-3, 6-4
2. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Adriana Wojakowska, 7-5, 6-1
3. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Mollie Cooper, 6-1, 6-3
4. Marcelli Magday (AF) def. Maddie Buxton, 7-5, 6-3
5. Lily Forlini (AF) def. Celine Voss, 6-1, 4-6, (10-4)
6. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Kwynn Ecton, 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 6, 5