April 5, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team suffered a 7-0 loss to 60th-ranked Fresno State Friday afternoon in Fresno, Calif. Fresno State moved into first place in the Mountain West with an 11-5 overall and 4-0 record in the MW, while the Falcons fell to 12-6 and 1-2 in league play.
“Fresno is a very good team,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “We made some great adjustments between our first and second sets and competed well all day.”
The Bulldogs won the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Olga Kirpicheva and Aishwarya Agrawal won at No. 3, defeating sophomores Tiffany Tran and Marcelli Magday 8-1. Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts clinched the point for the Bulldogs at No. 2 with an 8-4 victory over senior Christine Molina and sophomore Natasha Rizvi. Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed rounded out the sweep with an 8-3 victory at the top spot over seniors Melissa Cecil and Hannah Dake.
Modoc put the Bulldogs ahead 2-0 as she defeated Cecil 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5. Her doubles partner Watts follow suit, beating Rizvi 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4.
Agrawal clinched the match for Fresno State at No. 2 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Tran, while Kirpicheva took the No. 6 match by outlasting freshman Mary Meyers 7-5, 6-3. McQueen then topped Dake 6-2, 6-4 at the No 3 spot.
Ahmed and Molina battled in the final match at the No. 1 position. Ahmed won a tight first set 6-4, but Molina rallied to win the second 6-3. With the match having already been clinched, Ahmed and Molina played a super tiebreaker which Ahmed won 11-9.
The Falcons play Nevada on Saturday, April 6 at 9 a.m. in Fresno.
#60 Fresno State 7, Air Force 0
April 5, 2013
1. McQueen / Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Dake / Cecil, 8-3
2. Modoc / Watts (FS) def. Molina / Rizvi, 8-4
3. Agrawal / Kirpicheva (FS) def. Tran / Magday (AF) 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Christine Molina, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-1, 6-2
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Hannah Dake, 6-2, 6-4
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Natasha Rizvi, 6-2, 6-1
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Melissa Cecil, 6-1, 6-0
6. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Mary Meyers, 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2, 6, 3, 1