March 16, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team had its eight-match winning streak snapped Saturday with a 6-1 loss to 70th-ranked Wyoming in Laramie, Wyo. The Falcons fell to 12-5 overall and 1-1 in the Mountain West, while the Cowgirls are 6-5 overall and 1-0 in league play.
“I have to hand it to Wyoming, they did a great job of not letting us in or convert when we had opportunities to change the momentum,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “Our style of play is based off of a lot of energy and you could see that our legs were just a step behind.”
The Cowgirls took all three matches to win the doubles point. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova defeated Christine Molina and Natsha Rizvi 8-3 at the No. 2 spot to open up the day. That was followed by Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova clinching the point with an 8-3 win over Tiffany Tran and Marcelli Magday at No. 3. Wyoming’s No. 1 team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova wrapped things up with their 8-5 victory against Melissa Cecil and Hannah Dake.
The momentum stayed with Wyoming in singles action as they took five of the six matches to win the match. Kovacs earned the Cowgirls second point of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Dake at No. 3, followed by Popovici winning the No. 1 match, 6-1, 6-3, over Molina. Synkova clinched the match for Wyoming with her 6-2, 6-2 victory against Tran at No. 2. At No. 4, Nemcova had a 6-2, 7-6(4) win over Rizvi while Pairzher won at No. 5, 6-1, 7-6(4) against Cecil. In the final match of the day, Air Force freshman Mary Meyers won the No. 6 match in three sets, 6-1, 2-6, 7-6(8) over Christa Gecheva.
The Falcons head to Fresno, Calif. To take on the Fresno State Bulldogs on Friday, April 5 at 1:30 p.m.
#70 Wyoming 6, Air Force 1
March 16, 2013
1. Popovici / Synkova (WY) def. Cecil / Dake, 8-5
2. Kovacs / Nemcova (WY) def. Molina / Rizvi, 8-3
3. Parizher / Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Tran / Marcelli Magday, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Christine Molina, 6-1, 6-3
2. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-2, 6-2
3. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Hannah Dake, 6-2, 6-2
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Natasha Rizvi, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Melissa Cecil, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Christa Gecheva, 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (10-8)
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6