March 12, 2013
The Air Force women’s tennis team defeated Rhode Island, 6-1, Tuesday at the Academy for its eighth straight win. The Falcons improved to 12-4 this season.
The Falcons won the doubles point by capturing all three doubles matches. Sophomores Tiffany Tran and Marcelli Magday downed Kristin Bertsch and Lauren Benoit, 8-0, at No. 3. Seniors Melissa Cecil and Hannah Dake clinched the point with an 8-0 triumph over Galina Chernykh and Kathleen Yu at the No. 1 position. Senior Christine Molina and sophomore Natasha Rizvi won the No. 2 match, 8-1, over Nithila Asokaraj and Karolina Wojciak.
In singles action, the Falcons won five of the six matches, Tran (No. 2) and junior Anastasia Hueffner (No. 6) each won her match, 6-0, 6-0.
“This was some of our cleanest doubles we have played to date,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “Just doing the basics and hitting our targets well got us off to a quick start. In the singles, we competed really well. Their top player was one of the better players we have seen to date. This match should set us up to be prepared against Wyoming on Saturday.”
The Falcons return to Mountain West action on Saturday, March 16 against Wyoming in Laramie, beginning at 2 p.m.
Air Force 6, Rhode Island 1
March 12, 2013
1. Melissa Cecil / Hannah Dake (AF) def. Galina Chernykh / Kathleen Uy, 8-0
2. Christine Molina / Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Nithila Asokaraj / Karolina Wojciak, 8-1
3. Marcelli Magday / Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Kristin Bertsch / Lauren Benoit, 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Galina Chernykh (URI) def. Christine Molina, 6-2, 6-4
2. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Kathleen Uy, 6-0, 6-0
3. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Nithila Asokaraj, 6-3, 6-4
4. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Karolina Wojciak, 6-0, 6-1
5. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Elizavet Sadovinkova, 6-1, 6-2
6. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Kristin Bertsch, 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 1, 6, 5