March 7, 2010
The Air Force women’s tennis team had its six-match winning streak snapped Sunday with a tough, 4-3 loss to Samford in Birmingham, Ala., in a matchup of regionally ranked teams. Samford, ranked eighth in the Southern Region, improved to 7-4, while the Falcons, tied for 10th in the Mountain Region, fell to 13-3.
The Falcons lost the doubles point for just the third time this season by dropping all three matches. The best match was at the No. 3 position, where junior Christen Monreal and freshman Christine Molina lost 8-7(4) to Stephanie Parkison and Madelie van Rensburg.
In singles, the two teams split the six singles matches, with Samford’s Taylor Morgan downing Monreal, 6-2, 6-3, at the top spot. Air Force sophomore Tahlia Smoke took the No. 2 match over Andrie Meiring, 6-2, 7-5, but van Rensburg won at No. 3 over AFA freshman Hannah Dake 6-3, 6-3.
The Falcons won at Nos. 5 and 6, with Molina beating Rebecca Kirven, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 5 and freshman Melissa Cecil beating Lindsey Mallory at No. 6, 6-3, 7-6(3). Therefore, the team match came down to the No. 4 match between Falcon junior Sarah Cassman and Parkison. Parkison won the first set, 6-3, but Cassman rallied to save two match points in the second set to win a tiebreaker, 7-4. Parkison clinched the match for Samford with a 6-3 triumph in the third set.
The Falcons are idle until Saturday, March 20, when they travel to Hawaii to take on the University of Hawaii and Hawaii-Pacific.
Samford 4, Air Force 3
1. Taylor Morgan (SAM) def. Christen Monreal, 6-2, 6-3
2. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Andrie Meiring, 6-2, 7-5
3. Madelie van Rensburg (SAM) def. Hannah Dake, 6-3, 6-3
4. Stephanie Parkison (SAM) def. Sarah Cassman, 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3
5. Christine Molina (AF) def. Rebecca Kirven, 6-2, 7-5
6. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Lindsey Mallory, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Mallory / Morgan (SAM) def. Dake / Cecil, 8-2
3. Parkison / van Rensburg (SAM) def. Molina / Monreal, 8-7 (4)