Feb. 27, 2011
The Air Force women's tennis team ran its winning streak to 12 with a pair of wins Sunday in Dayton, Ohio. The Falcons, who improved to 12-2 this season, defeated Ball State (6-1) and Robert Morris University (6-0).
The Falcons won all but one match during the day and swept the three doubles contests in both matches. Air Force has won the doubles point in each of its last 12 matches.
In the opening match of the day, the Falcons won their 11th straight doubles point by sweeping the three matches against Ball State. In singles play, Air Force continued its outstanding play by winning the top five matches, four of them in straight sets.
Junior Tahlia Smoke and sophomore Melissa Cecil combined to win the No. 1 doubles match, then won at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively. Senior Sarah Cassman posted the only three-set win for AFA, defeating Kristel Sanders, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5. Sophomore Hannah Dake and freshman Anastasia Hueffner then won at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.
Against NAIA opponent Robert Morris, the Falcons did not lose more than one game in any of the five singles matches. The No. 3 match was not played.
"To win 12 matches in a season is an accomplishment at the Academy - let alone win 12 matches in a row," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "We had tremendous fan support in Dayton and that really helped fire up the team. Our doubles is really looking good and our fight in singles is awesome. This team has accomplished something pretty special and we are not through yet."
The Falcons travel to Iowa next weekend for matches at Iowa State on Saturday, March 5 and Drake on Sunday, March 6.
Air Force 6, Ball State 1
1. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Georgina Thomson, 6-3, 6-2
2. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Sarah Hebble, 6-3, 6-2
3. Sarah Cassman (AF) def. Kristel Sanders, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Dena Boulieris, 6-3, 6-2
5. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Paola Rodriguez, 6-3, 6-4
6. Kylee Johnson (BSU) def. Megumi Voight, 8-6
1. Cecil / Smoke (AF) def. Thomson / Boulieris, 8-3
2. Dake / Cassman (AF) def. Johnson / Rodriguez, 8-3
3. Voight / Hueffner (AF) def. Lauren Pickrel / Hebble, 8-5
Air Force 6, Robert Morris 0
1. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Ana Kostic, 6-0, 6-0
2. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Aljehandra Gamboa, 6-0, 6-1
3. Did not play
4. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Stephanie Messina, 6-0, 6-1
5. Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Belloria, 6-0, 6-0
6. Megumi Voight (AF) def. Katie Jensen, 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 1, 2
1. Smoke / Cecil (AF) def. Messina / Gamboa, 8-1
2. Dake / Cassman (AF) def. Kostic / Karyn Emerald, 8-4
3. Hueffner / Voight (AF) def. Belloria / Jensen, 8-0M
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2