Falcons Shut Out Abilene Christian, 7-0
Feb. 27, 2010
The Air Force women’s tennis team improved to 11-2 this spring and won their fourth straight match Saturday, defeating Abilene Christian, 7-0, at the Academy. The match was part of the USTA Campus Kids Day, which included a tennis clinic hosted by the team and pizza party for kids prior to the match.
“This was a really good day for the program,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “We hosted 77 kids at our clinic, then played really well against the 6th-ranked Division II team in the country. When we can soundly defeat a Division II powerhouse such as ACU, it really shows how far women’s sports have improved since the move to Division I here at the Air Force Academy.”
The Falcons won two of the three doubles matches and swept all six singles matches. Junior Christen Monreal won the No. 1 singles match in three sets, beating Julia Mongin, 6-1, 6-7, 6-1. Freshman Hannah Dake went 6-0 this weekend, including a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Cassie Carver at No. 3 singles Saturday.
Air Force travels to Birmingham, Ala., next weekend to play three matches, opening against UAB on Friday, March 5 at 11 a.m.
Air Force 7, Abilene Christian 0
1. Christen Monreal (AF) def. Julia Mongin, 6-1, 6-7(2), 6-1
2. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Jaclyn Walker, 6-4, 7-6(1)
3. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Cassie Carver, 6-2, 6-2
4. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Hannah Kelley, 6-4, 6-1
5. Sarah Cassman (AF) def. Kauren White, 6-1, 6-2
6. Christine Molina (AF) def. Natalie Friend, 6-1, 6-0
1. Cecil / Dake (AF) def. Walker / Carver, 8-4
3. Monreal / Molina (AF) def. Friend / White, 8-1