Feb. 23, 2014
The Air Force women’s tennis team battled to a hard-fought 4-3 victory Sunday over Northern Iowa in Lincoln, Neb. The Falcons, who improved to 5-4 this spring, won two of the three doubles matches and three of the six singles matches.
Both doubles matches that Air Force won went to a tiebreaker. After losing the No. 2 match, AFA’s No. 3 duo of senior Anastasia Hueffner and junior Marcelli Magday pulled out an 8-7 decision over Krissy Lankelma and Sydney Wolfe, winning the tiebreaker 7-4. Then at the top doubles spot, junior Natasha Rizvi and sophomore Mary Meyers were down 7-6, then won 11 of the final 12 points to defeat Jieke Stroobant and Erica Medlin, 8-7(1) to clinch the point.
In singles, Air Force took a 3-0 lead when freshman Chloe Forlini (No. 6) and Rizvi (No. 3) each won her match in straight sets. UNI then won the next three matches off the court, including a 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 win by Astrid Santos over Magday at No. 4. Air Force freshman Tracy Landram clinched the match with an exciting 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win over Lankelma at the No. 5 position.
“This was a great match for the team against a top ranked team in its conference,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “The doubles point was exciting and then we had to battle for every set in singles. I was very impressed with everyone's fight and energy.”
The Falcons are idle until March 14 when it plays Radford and James Madison in Orlando, Fla.
Air Force 4, Northern Iowa 3
Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014
1. Natasha Rizvi / Mary Meyers (AF) def. Jieke Stroobant / Erica Medlin, 8-7(1)
2. Elvira Lopez / Astrid Santos (UNI) def. Tiffany Tran / Lily Forlini, 8-3
3. Marcelli Magday / Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Krissy Lankelma / Sydney Wolfe, 8-7(4)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Jieke Stroobant (UNI) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-2, 7-5
2. Erica Medlin (UNI) def. Mary Meyers, 7-5, 6-1
3. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Elvira Lopez, 6-1, 6-4
4. Astrid Santos (UNI) def. Marcelli Magday, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Krissy Lankelma, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Chloe Forlini (AF) def. Sydney Wolfe, 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 2, 1, 5