Feb. 22, 2014
The Air Force women’s tennis team lost to 53rd-ranked Nebraska 5-2 Saturday morning at the Nebraska Tennis Center in Lincoln, Neb. The Huskers improved to 4-3 while Air Force fell to 4-4 this spring.
Nebraska won all three doubles matches four of the six singles contests on Saturday. The Huskers grabbed a win at the No. 3 position when Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz defeated senior Anastasia Hueffner and junior Marcelli Magday, 8-2. Nebraska sealed the doubles point at the No. 1 spot when Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna outpaced junior Natasha Rizvi and sophomore Mary Meyers, 8-4. The final match played through with the Big Red’s Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska narrowly edging freshman Lily Forlini and junior Tiffany Tran, 8-7(6).
With the 1-0 lead on the doubles point headed into singles, Nebraska extended the margin to 3-0 in two quick matches when Zeppernick defeated Forlini 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 5 position while fellow Husker Andersson downed Magday 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 4 spot. AFA freshman Tracy Landram improved to 17-1 overall and remained perfect at 6-0 at the No. 6 spot with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Sulz.
The Cornhuskers secured the victory at the No. 1 position when No. 80-ranked Lehmicke defeated Tran, 6-4, 7-5. The remaining two matches played through with NU’s Zgierska topping Meyers 7-5, 6-4 at No. 2 while fellow Rizvi outlasted Hanna 2-6, 7-5, 1-0(8) at the No. 3 spot.
“We saw some different looks in the doubles today and the teams did a good job for the first time competing together this spring,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “In singles we used that energy in competing against our highest nationally ranked team this season. Tracy Landram played one of the smartest matches I have seen her play and Natasha Rizvi fought back to win in the third set tie-break.”
The Falcons take on the University of Northern Iowa on Sunday, Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. (CT) in Lincoln.
#53 Nebraska 5, Air Force 2
Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014
1. Mary Hanna / Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) def. Natasha Rizvi / Mary Meyers, 8-4
2. Izabella Zgierska / Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Lily Forlini / Tiffany Tran, 8-7(6)
3. Hannah Sulz / Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Anastasia Hueffner / Marcelli Magday, 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #80 Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-4, 7-5
2. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Mary Meyers, 7-5, 6-4
3. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Mary Hanna, 2-6, 7-5, 1-0(8)
4. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Marcelli Magday, 6-3, 6-0
5. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Lily Forlini, 6-2, 6-0
6. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Hannah Sulz, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 1, 2, 3