Falcons Fall to SMU, 6-1
Feb. 16, 2013
The SMU women's tennis team won the doubles point and the top five singles matches en route to a 6-1 win against Air Force on Sunday. The Falcons won at No. 2 doubles and No. 6 singles but fell to 4-3 this season.
In singles, SMU won four singles matches in straight sets. Air Force sophomore Tiffany Tran extended the No. 3 match with Vaszilisza Bulgakova to three sets before falling, 6-1, 5-7, 10-8. Freshman Mary Meyers rallied to win the No. 6 singles match, 2-6, 6-1, 7-6.
“We competed very well and just could not capitalize to turn the momentum around,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “Tiffany Tran came back from a 5-0 deficit in the second set and saved match points only to come up short 10-8 for the match tie-breaker. The team is making strides against some really tough competition and it is going to pay off.”
The Falcons visit UT-Arlington on Sunday at 11 a.m.
SMU 6, Air Force 1
1. #93 Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Christine Molina, 6-3, 6-2
2. #118 Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) def. Hannah Dake, 6-0, 6-0
3. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-0, 6-7, 10-8
4. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Melissa Cecil, 6-1, 6-1
5. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) def. Natasha Rizvi, 6-3, 7-6(3)
6. Mary Meyers (AFA) def. Holly Verner, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6