Falcons Blank Drake, 7-0
Feb. 14, 2010
The Air Force women's tennis team defeated Drake University, 7-0, Sunday morning in Lincoln, Neb. The Falcons improved to 8-2 this spring.
The Falcons, playing without freshman Melissa Cecil, won two of three doubles matches and all six singles contests against Drake. Junior Christen Monreal and freshman Christine Molina paired up to win the No. 2 doubles match over Jessica Aguilera and Amanda Aragon, 8-3, while junior Katrina Eromin and sophomore Tahlia Smoke won at No. 3 by the same score over Jessica Labarte and Ali Patterson.
Air Force won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, with the No. 1 match going the distance. Monreal pulled out a 6-3, 4-6, (10-4) victory over Manca Krizman at the top spot. Dake won at No. 2, rallying from a 4-0 second-set deficit to beat Gabriela Demos. Smoke followed suit with a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 3 over Patterson after saving three set points in the second set and Molina came back from 4-1 down in the second set to beat Aguilera, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 4 spot.
Junior Sarah Cassman took the No. 5 match, 6-2, 6-4, over Labarte and Eromin preserved the shutout with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Aragon at No. 6.
"This was our best match of the season so far," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "Coming off the loss to No. 51 Nebraska, this match showed how the team could rebound and handle adversity as we were without our No. 2 singles player and part of our No. 1 doubles team due to illness. The team did not miss a beat as we paired up two completely different doubles teams and still won the doubles point. In the singles everyone showed huge accountability for their match and literally fought for every point."
Air Force's match against Nebraska-kearney scheduled for Sunday afternoon was cancelled due to UNK unable to get to Lincoln due to bad weather.
Air Force 7, Drake 0
1. Christen Monreal (AF) def. Manca Krizman, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
2. Hannah Dake (AF) def. Gabriela Demos, 6-2, 7-5
3. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Ali Patterson, 7-5, 7-5
4. Christine Molina (AF) def Jessica Aguilera, 6-4, 7-5
5. Sarah Cassman (AF) def. Jessica Labarte, 6-2, 6-4
6. Katrina Eromin (AF) def. Amanda Aragon, 6-3, 6-0
1. Demos / Krizman (Drake) def. Dake / Allie Chermel, 8-5
2. Monreal / Molina (AF) def. Aguilera / Aragon, 8-3
3. Eromin / Smoke (AF) def. Labarte / Patterson, 8-3