Feb. 6, 2011
The Air Force women's tennis team completed a perfect weekend with a 5-2 victory over Gonzaga University Sunday morning at Bozeman, Mont. The Falcons, who won all three matches this weekend, improved to 5-2 this season with their fifth straight win.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles. Senior Sarah Cassman and sophomore Hannah Dake won the No. 3 match, 8-4, over Sophie Lantta and Jackie Tabb, then senior Christen Monreal and freshman Anastasia Hueffner dropped the No. 2 match, 9-7, to Clare Dodge and Kristina Zauere. Junior Tahlia Smoke and sophomore Melissa Cecil then clinched the point by beating Rika Mehndiratta and Danielle Farmer, 8-5, at the No. 1 spot. The Falcon duo avenged a loss to Gonzaga's top team in the fall.
Cecil (No. 2), Smoke (No. 3), Hueffner (No. 5) and junior Megumi Voight (No. 6) each won in straight sets, with Hueffner clinching the team match with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Farmer.
"This was an amazing finish to a great weekend," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "It was a total team effort the entire weekend. Someone different stepped up each day to give us our five- match win streak."
The Falcons return home next weekend to face Wofford (1:30 p.m.) and South Dakota (6 p.m.) on Saturday, Feb. 12.
Air Force 5, Gonzaga 2
Sunday, Feb. 6, 2011
1. Rika Mehndiratta (GU) def. Christen Monreal, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Kristina Zauere, 6-2, 6-4
3. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Prue Teitzel, 6-4, 6-2
4. Clare Dodge (GU) def. Sarah Cassman, 6-4, 6-2
5. Tasha Hueffner (AF) def. Danielle Farmer, 7-5, 6-3
6. Megumi Voight (AF) def. Sophie Lantta, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6
1. Smoke / Cecil (AF) def. Mehndiratta / Farmer, 8-5
2. Dodge / Zauere (GU) def. Hueffner / Monreal, 9-7
3. Cassman / Hannah Dake (AF) def. Lantta / Jackie Tabb, 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2