Feb. 5, 2011
The Air Force women's tennis team won its fourth straight match with a 5-2 victory over the University of Montana Saturday in Bozeman, Mont. The Falcons, who improved to 4-2 this spring, won two of the three doubles matches and captured four of the six singles matches.
Air Force jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles. Senior Sarah Cassman and sophomore Hannah Dake won the No. 3 match, 8-3, over Heather Davidson and Lauren Gibson, then senior Christen Monreal and freshman Anastasia Hueffner dropped the No. 2 match, 9-7, to Amanda Bran and Constance Alexander. Junior Tahlia Smoke and sophomore Melissa Cecil then clinched the point by saving three match points and beating Rebecca Bran and Whitney Paluch, 9-8(4), at the No. 1 spot.
Monreal (No. 1), Hueffner (No. 5) and junior Megumi Voight (No. 6) each won in straight sets, while Smoke won the No. 3 match in three sets, 5-7, 6-1, 7-5, over Davidson.
"This was an amazing day for our team," said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. "We played some of the best doubles we have all season. Our No. 1 doubles team fought off three match points and won in a tie-breaker to clinch the doubles point. It was one of the greatest comebacks I have seen. That set the tone for the singles matches. Everyone won a match for us today, which is always a team goal for us."
The Falcons will face Gonzaga on Sunday in Bozeman.
Air Force 5, Montana 2
Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011
1. Christen Monreal (AF) def. Rebecca Bran, 6-2, 6-3
2. Constance Alexander (UM) def. Melissa Cecil, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Heather Davidson, 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
4. Whitney Paluch (UM) def. Sarah Cassman, 6-3, 7-6(6)
5. Tasha Hueffner (AF) def. Ashley Mackey, 6-0, 6-1
6. Megumi Voight (AF) def. Lauren Gibson, 7-6, 6-3
1. Smoke / Cecil (AF) def. Paluch / R. Bran, 9-8(4)
2. Amanda Bran / Alexander (UM) def. Hueffner / Monreal, 9-7
3. Cassman / Hannah Dake (AF) def. Davidson / Gibson, 8-3