Feb. 2, 2014
The Air Force women’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak with a 4-2 victory over Northern Colorado Sunday in Greeley, Colo. With the victory, Air Force improved to 4-3 this spring while UNC fell to 0-3.
The Falcons won the doubles point when juniors Marcelli Magday and Natasha Rizvi won the deciding match at the No. 1 position and saved a match point to defeat Stephanie Catlin and Beth Coton, 7-6. Senior Anastasia Hueffner and sophomore Mary Meyers won the No. 3 match, 6-4, over Laura Wehner and Chrissie Hoolahan.
In singles play, the two teams split the top four matches, all of which went to a third set. Meyers won the No. 2 match, 6-7, 6-2, (10-5) over Catlin, while Rizvi downed Hoolahan, 7-5, 3-6, (10-7) at the No. 3 spot. Freshman Tracy Landram also captured the No. 6 match, 7-5, 6-3 over Coton
“This was a crazy match,” said Air Force head coach Kim Gidley. “The doubles point came down saving a match point and a tiebreaker at No. 1, then we had four third-set super tiebreaks in singles play. Mary Meyers really battled out there today and gave our team a lot of momentum. This was a great fighting effort by the team.”
Air Force 4, Northern Colorado 2
Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014
1. Marcelli Magday / Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Stephanie Catlin / Beth Coton, 7-6
2. Hilary Waters-West / Adriana Nieto (UNC) def. Chloe Forlini / Lily Forlini, 6-3
3. Mary Meyers / Anastasia Hueffner (AF) def. Laura Wehner / Chrissie Hoolahan, 6-4
1. Nieto (UNC) def. Tiffany Tran, 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
2. Meyers (AF) def. Catlin, 6-7, 6-2, 10-5
3. Rizvi (AF) def. Hoolahan, 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
4. Wehner (UNC) def. Magday, 7-6, 3-6, 11-9
5. Walters-West (UNC) vs. Lily Forlini, 5-7, 6-4, DNF
6. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Coton, 7-5, 6-3