Falcons Beat Seattle Twice to Open Spring Slate
Jan. 19, 2014
The Air Force women’s tennis team opened the 2014 spring schedule with a pair of victories over Seattle University Saturday at The Tennis Center at Sand Point in Seattle, Wash. The Falcons won the first match, 7-0, then captured the nightcap, 4-0. Air Force head coach Kim Gidley captured her 200th career victory in the opening match.
Air Force won all nine matches in the first contest. The Falcons decisively won all three doubles matches, then won four of the six singles matches in straight sets. In the second match, Air Force won the first two doubles matches and the first three singles matches off the court for the victory.
“Today was a great way to start out the spring season,” said Gidley. “Seattle was a tough team, we just had everyone show up and be accountable for their own matches. When we had some matches get tight, the team just battled harder.”
The Falcons (6-0) travel to California next weekend for three matches, beginning on Friday, Jan. 24 against UC Riverside at 2 p.m.
1. Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Kelli Woodman, 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
2. Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Anna Lambert, 6-1, 6-2
3. Mary Meyers (AF) def. Sarah Lucas, 6-3, 6-0
4. Marcelli Magday (AF) def. Barbara Carey, 6-4, 6-7(5), (10-7)
5. Lily Forlini (AF) def. Gabriella Weissmann, 6-2, 6-0
6. Tracy Landram (AF) def. Corinne Wurden, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 3, 1, 4