Oct. 24, 2012
Friday, Oct. 26, 3 p.m. @ Madrid Sports Complex - Laramie, Wyo.
Live Stats: goAirForceFalcons.com
Air Force Wraps Up 2012 At Wyoming
Air Force women's soccer wraps up the 2012 season at Wyoming this Friday, Oct. 26. Kickoff is 3 p.m. at the Madrid Sports Complex in Laramie.
Air Force returns 16 letterwinners and eight starters. The Falcons welcome 11 newcomers. Air Force returns three of its top four scorers from last season, including leading 2011 scorer in sophomore midfielder McKenna Fox.
Air Force dropped a 1-0 match at New Mexico and 3-0 match at #6 San Diego State over the weekend. Kelly Stambaugh had 12 saves in the SDSU match, the fourth-most in school history.
Senior forward Stephanie Patterson leads the Falcons in scoring with five goals and 10 points. Junior Kelly Stambaugh has a 0.96 goals against average in goal and has 78 saves in 1,501 minutes.
Falcons In School Top 10
Senior forward Stephanie Patterson and junior goalkeeper Kelly Stambaugh have entered Air Force's top 10 in a couple categories. Patterson has 42 career points, ranking seventh all-time. Her 12 career assists are sixth all-time. Stambaugh has AFA's lowest career GAA at 1.07. Her 14 shutouts are second and her 238 saves and 4,389 minutes are third.
Scouting The Opponent
Wyoming is 7-8-2, 0-5-1 after a 3-1 loss at San Diego State and 2-1 loss at New Mexico. Forward Sara Paul leads the team in scoring with 10 assists and 14 points. Courtney Merkle has a 1.45 GAA in goal for the Cowgirls.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 22-42-9 in his fourth year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Pete Cuadrado (TCU, 2000) is in his first season at Wyoming and is 100-70-10 in his 10th year as a head coach.
- Wyoming has four players on its roster from Colorado:
Jr. D Mera Cosgrove (Thornton - Legacy HS)
Sr. M Jenny Johnson (Ft. Collins - Rocky Mtn. HS)
Sr. GK Carmen McDermott (Colorado Springs - Pine Creek HS)
Sr. F Cassie Sheffield (Longmont - Silver Creek HS)
- Air Force is 6-9-1 all-time vs. Wyoming.
- Last year, the Cowgirls won 5-1.
- Wyoming is unbeaten in the last nine meetings vs. Air Force.
- The Falcons last win over Wyoming was in 2002.