Oct. 19, 2010
Complete Release in PDF Format
New Mexico Lobos (10-1-3, 4-0) vs. Air Force Falcons (7-8-1, 0-4)
Friday, Oct. 22 - 4:30 p.m. - Cadet Soccer Stadium -USAFA, Colo.
Game Promo: Meet the Bird & Postgame Autograph session
TCU Horned Frogs (7-8-1, 1-3) vs. Air Force Falcons
Sunday, Oct. 24 - 11 a.m. - Cadet Soccer Stadium -USAFA, Colo.
Game Promo: Postgame Autograph session
Air Force Concludes Home Play Hosting New Mexico and TCU
The Air Force women's soccer team concludes its home portion of the 2010 season by hosting New Mexico and TCU this weekend. The Falcons host the Lobos at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 22 and TCU at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 24.
Air Force returns 15 letterwinners, including eight starters in 2009. The Falcons also welcome seven freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a sophomore forward and two-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a junior forward.
Recapping Last Weekend
Air Force is 7-8-1 on the season after dropping a 2-1 match in overtime at San Diego State and 3-0 match at UNLV last week. In the SDSU match Thursday, Stephanie Patterson tied the game up with a goal in the 75th minute and eventually forced overtime. The Falcons ended up falling the 99th minute. The Falcons were held to four shots in a 3-0 loss Saturday at UNLV.
A Strong Season
Air Force has reached numbers not seen in several years. Below are some of the numbers. The Falcons have more than doubled their points total (60-26) from a season ago.
Category/#/Best total since (#)
Team Statistical Leaders
Sophomore forward Stephanie Patterson leads the team with 14 points and five goals. Junior forward Bridgett Murphy leads the team with five assists. Freshman Kelly Stambaugh has logged 1350 minutes in front of the net for Air Force and has a 1.13 goals against average and 75 saves.
Scouting The Opponents
- New Mexico is 10-1-3, 4-0 on the season after wins over Utah (3-0) and BYU (1-0) last week. Junior forward Jennifer Williams leads the team with 22 points, eight goals and six assists. Sophomore Kelly Cornell has a 0.28 GAA and 60 saves at goalkeeper.
- TCU is 7-8-1, 1-3 on the season after a pair of losses at BYU (1-0) and Utah (3-2). Junior forward Jordan Calhoun leads the team with six goals and 15 points. Senior Kelsey Walters has a 1.34 GAA and 56 saves at goalkeeper.
- Larry Friend is in his second year as the head coach at Air Force. The 1985 USAFA grad is 9-22-2 as a head coach.
- Kit Vela (Brown `90) is 79-74-32 in her 10th season at New Mexico.
- Dan Abdalla (UNLV `97) is 50-52-7 in his sixth year at TCU and 104-90-15 in his 11th year overall.
Series History/Connections vs. Opponents
- Air Force is 7-10 all-time vs. New Mexico and 1-6-1 vs. TCU.
- New Mexico has three players on its roster from Colorado.
- So. MF/F Stephanie Rowe - Littleton, Chatfield HS
- So. MF Chandler Guetz - Kiowa, Ponderosa HS
- Jr. MF Amanda Collins - Aurora, Grandview HS
- UNM sophomore Stephanie Rowe and AFA sophomore Anna Lowe are both Littleton natives and teammates at Chatfield High School.
- Air Force junior Cassie Wilson is the lone Falcon from Texas. Wilson hails from Spring and attended Klein Oak High School.
- TCU has two players on its roster from Colorado.
- So. D/MF Leigha Leonard - Highlands Ranch, Thunder Ridge HS
- So. D Elise Kensinger - Colorado Springs, Cheyenne Mountain HS
Air Force caps-off the 2010 regular season with a match at Wyoming on Oct. 30.