Oct. 18, 2011
UNLV Rebels (6-8-2, 2-1) vs. Air Force Falcons (6-7-3, 1-2)
Friday, Oct. 21, 6 p.m.
Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
San Diego State (7-6-3, 1-1-1) vs. Air Force Falcons
Sunday, Oct. 23, 11 a.m.
Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
Air Force Hosts UNLV and San Diego State
The Air Force women's soccer team plays host to UNLV and San Diego State in a pair of Mountain West matches this weekend, Oct. 21-23. The Falcons host the Rebels on Friday, Oct. 21 and the Aztecs on Sunday, Oct. 23.
Air Force dropped a pair of road matches last week. The Falcons lost 2-1 at TCU Friday and 4-1 at New Mexico Sunday. Freshman McKenna Fox scored both goals for the Falcons.
Freshman forward McKenna Fox leads the Falcons with seven goals and 17 points. Fox ranks second in the MW in points and goals. Senior forward Bridgett Murphy is fifth in the MW with 12 points. Sophomore Kelly Stambaugh and freshman Hannah Schwartz have split duties recently at goalkeeper. Stambaugh is 5-6-2 on the season with a 1.25 goals against average in 1,010 minutes. Schwartz is 1-1-2 on the season with a 0.81 GAA in 445 minutes.
Defense Playing Well
The Air Force defense has six shutouts on the season, which is the fourth-most all-time. The Falcons have held all but one opponent to two goals or fewer this season. Air Force posted four straight shutouts recently and did not allow a goal for 544 consecutive minutes at one point, spanning six games.
Air Force returns 12 letterwinners, including 10 starters from the 2010 team. The Falcons also welcome 13 newcomers, including 11 freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a junior forward and three-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a senior forward.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force is coming off one of its most successful seasons ever as a Div. I program in 2010, going 8-9-2 overall, its winningest season since 2001. The eight wins were more than the win totals of the previous three-years combined.
Wilson named MW Co-Defensive Player of the Week
Air Force women's soccer senior defender Cassie Wilson was named Mountain West co-defensive Player of the Week on Oct. 3.
Wilson was part of a Falcon defense that held both opponents scoreless through a combined 200 minutes of play. In Friday night's victory over Nebraska Omaha, Wilson played all 90 minutes, recording an assist on the Falcons' third goal of the match, while also holding UNO's leading scorer to just one shot attempt on the evening. Against Northern Arizona, Wilson logged all 110 minutes, holding NAU's leading scorer to three shots.
Most Goals Since 2001
Freshman McKenna Fox's seven goals are the most by a Falcon since Beth Boyer scored nine goals in 2001. Her seven goals are also the most by a Falcon freshman in the Mountain West era and the most since Stephanie Rader scored 10 goals for the Falcons in 1997.
First Hat Trick Since 2002
Air Force freshman forward McKenna Fox netted a hat trick in her second-career collegiate game, scoring three goals against CSU-Pueblo on Aug. 19. It was Air Force's first hat trick since then-freshman Jennifer Rowland scored three goals against Georgia State in 2001.
Veteran Senior Class
The four Air Force seniors are one of the most experienced classes the program has ever had. The group of Meagan Eissele, Bridgett Murphy, Krystin Shanklin and Cassie Wilson have combined to start 237 of 267 career games played.
Murphy Moving Up Scoring Charts
Senior Bridgett Murphy is beginning to move up the Academy top 10 charts. Murphy's 39 career points is eighth all-time at the Academy and the most by a Falcon in the Mountain West era. her 15 goals are also the most by a Falcon in the MW era. Her five game-winning goals are sixth all-time at AFA and her nine assists are sixth all-time.
Stambaugh Solid In Goal
Sophomore Kelly Stambaugh is off to one of the best starts by an Air Force goalkeeper ever. Stambaugh is cracked the school top ten list in most categories including, wins, minutes, saves, shutouts and goals against average.
Scouting The Opponents
- UNLV is 6-8-2 on the season after defeating Boise State 5-0 last weekend. Senior MF/F Katherine Orellana leads the team with four goals and four assists. Sophomore Kylie Wassell (1.08 GAA) has logged most of the minutes in goal for the Rebels.
- San Diego State is 7-6-3 on the season after falling to Boise State 1-0 last weekend. Senior midfielder Cat Walker leads the team with six goals and 13 points. Freshman Rachel Boaz (1.03 GAA) has logged most of the minutes in goal for the Aztecs.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 17-31-6 in his third year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Jennifer Klein (Arizona 2006) is 17-16-3 in her second year at UNLV.
- Mike Friesen (Sonoma State 1996) is 45-38-16 in his fifth year at San Diego State.
Series History vs. UNLV
- Air Force is 4-12 all-time vs. UNLV.
- Last year, UNLV defeated the Falcons 3-0 in Las Vegas.
- Air Force's has dropped 10 in a row to UNLV and has been held scoreless in nine in a row.
- AFA's last win over UNLV was in 2001.
- UNLV has three players on its roster from Colorado.
- Fr. F Jenna Howerton - Colorado Springs (Pine Creek HS)
- Fr. MF Erica Meier - Boulder (Longmont HS)
- Fr. MF Denali Murnan - Arvada (Ralston Valley HS)
Series History vs. San Diego State
- Air Force is 1-13-1 all-time vs. San Diego State.
- Last year, Air Force lost at SDSU, 2-1 in overtime.
- Air Force's last win over SDSU was in 2001, a 3-0 win.
- SDSU has won nine of the last 10 meetings (one tie).
San Diego State Connections
- Air Force has four players from Southern California.
- So. D Loren Catchpole (Manhattan Beach)
- So. M Kaleigh Moses (Huntington Beach)
- Fr. D Paige Saxton-Getty (Temecula)
- Jr. M Krystin Shanklin (Thousand Oaks)
Air Force closes out the regular season hosting Wyoming on Saturday, Oct. 29.