Oct. 12, 2010
Complete Release in PDF Format
Air Force Falcons (7-6-1, 0-2) vs. San Diego State Aztecs (3-8-3, 1-1)
Thursday, Oct. 14 - 4 p.m. (PST)
SDSU Sports Deck - San Diego, Calif.
Air Force Falcons vs. UNLV Rebels (8-5, 0-2)
Saturday, Oct. 16 - 1 p.m. (PST)
Johann Memorial Stadium - Las Vegas, Nev.
Air Force Travels To San Diego State and UNLV
The Air Force women's soccer team continues Mountain West Conference play with a pair of road matches at San Diego State and UNLV this week. The Falcons head to SDSU on Thursday, Oct. 14 and then on to UNLV on Saturday, Oct. 16.
Air Force returns 15 letterwinners, including eight starters in 2009. The Falcons also welcome seven freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a sophomore forward and two-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a junior forward.
Recapping Last Weekend
Air Force is 7-6-1 on the season after dropping a 2-1 match at #11 BYU. The Falcons gave up two early goals and fought to get back in the game. Things got interesting late in the match, as Krystin Shanklin scored in the 84th minute to pull the Falcons to within one. It was Air Force's first conference goal in 10 games.
A Strong Season
A little over the midway mark, Air Force has reached numbers not seen in several years. Below are some of the numbers. The Falcons have already doubled their points total (57-26) from a season ago.
Category/#/Best total since (#)
Team Statistical Leaders
Sophomore forward Stephanie Patterson leads the team with 12 points four goals and four assists. Freshman forward Megan Dozier is tied for the team-lead with four goals and junior forward Bridgett Murphy leads the team with five assists.
Freshman Kelly Stambaugh has logged 1160 minutes in front of the net for Air Force and has a 0.93 goals against average and 60 saves.
Scouting The Opponents
- San Diego State is 3-8-3 on the season after a 2-1 loss at New Mexico last weekend. Senior MF/F Michaela DeJesus leads the Aztecs with three goals and three assists. Senior Aubree Southwick has a 1.21 GAA and 72 saves at goalkeeper for SDSU.
- UNLV is 8-5 on the season after a 3-1 loss at TCU last weekend. Senior Ashleigh Shoughro leads the conference with 10 goals and 23 points. Freshman Kylie Wassell has a 1.41 GAA and 47 saves at goalkeeper for the Rebels.
- Larry Friend is in his second year as the head coach at Air Force. The 1985 USAFA grad is 9-20-2 as a head coach.
- Mike Friesen (Sonoma State `96) is 33-30-14 in her fourth season at San Diego State.
- Jennifer Klein is in her first year as head coach for UNLV.
Series History/Connections vs. Opponents
- Air Force is 1-12-1 all-time vs. SDSU and 4-11 vs. UNLV.
- Air Force has four players from Southern California.
- So. GK Charity Blanton (Lancaster)
- Fr. D Loren Catchpole (Manhattan Beach)
- Fr. M Kaleigh Moses (Huntington Beach)
- Jr. M Krystin Shanklin (Thousand Oaks)
Air Force hosts its two final home matches of the season next weekend. The Falcons host New Mexico on Friday, Oct. 22 and TCU on Sunday, Oct. 24.