Oct. 11, 2011
Complete Release in PDF Format
Air Force Falcons (6-5-3, 1-0) vs. TCU Horned Frogs (6-7-1, 0-2)
Friday, Oct. 14, 7 p.m. (CST)
Garvey-Rosenthal Stadium - Fort Worth, Texas
Air Force Falcons vs. New Mexico Lobos (7-4-3, 1-0-1)
Sunday, Oct. 16, 12 p.m.
UNM Soccer Complex - Albuquerque, N.M.
Television: The Mtn. (TCU match)
Air Force Travels to TCU and New Mexico
The Air Force women's soccer team travels to TCU and New Mexico for a pair of conference matches this week. The Falcons take on TCU in a televised game, this Friday Oct. 14. Air Force takes on New Mexico on Sunday, Oct. 16.
Air Force defeated Boise State 1-0 to claim its first MW road win since 2002. Bridgett Murphy's goal in the 11th minute gave the Falcons the win. Kelly Stambaugh had three saves for her third-consecutive shutout and Air Force's fourth in a row. The Falcons are now unbeaten in their last five matches.
Freshman forward McKenna Fox leads the Falcons with five goals and 13 points. Fox ranks second in the MW in points and fourth in goals. Senior forward Bridgett Murphy is second in the conference with four assists and fifth with 12 points. Sophomore Kelly Stambaugh and freshman Hannah Schwartz have split duties recently at goalkeeper. Stambaugh is 5-4-2 on the season with a 0.82 goals against average in 875 minutes. Schwartz is 1-1-2 on the season with a 0.90 GAA in 400 minutes.
Defense Playing Well
Air Force had played solid defense in their last couple of games. The Falcons have held their last four opponents scoreless and have not allowed a goal in 517 minutes, dating back to their Sept. 23 game against IUPUI. The Falcons have six shutouts on the season, tying for fourth-most in a season all-time. Air Force's 0.95 team GAA is the third-lowest in program history and the second-lowest in the Div. I era.
Air Force returns 12 letterwinners, including 10 starters from the 2010 team. The Falcons also welcome 13 newcomers, including 11 freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a junior forward and three-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a senior forward.
Juniors Krystin Shanklin, Meagan Eissele and Cassie Wilson will be the Air Force team captains for the second-consecutive season in 2011.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force is coming off one of its most successful seasons ever as a Div. I program in 2010, going 8-9-2 overall, its winningest season since 2001. The eight wins were more than the win totals of the previous three-years combined.
Wilson named MW Co-Defensive Player of the Week
Air Force women's soccer senior defender Cassie Wilson was named Mountain West co-defensive Player of the Week on Oct. 3.
Wilson was part of a Falcon defense that held both opponents scoreless through a combined 200 minutes of play. In Friday night's victory over Nebraska Omaha, Wilson played all 90 minutes, recording an assist on the Falcons' third goal of the match, while also holding UNO's leading scorer to just one shot attempt on the evening. Against Northern Arizona, Wilson logged all 110 minutes, holding NAU's leading scorer to three shots.
First Hat Trick Since 2002
Air Force freshman forward McKenna Fox netted a hat trick in her second-career collegiate game, scoring three goals against CSU-Pueblo on Aug. 19. It was Air Force's first hat trick since then-freshman Jennifer Rowland scored three goals against Georgia State in 2001.
Veteran Senior Class
The four Air Force seniors are one of the most experienced classes the program has ever had. The group of Meagan Eissele, Bridgett Murphy, Krystin Shanklin and Cassie Wilson have combined to start 229 of 259 career games played.
Murphy Moving Up Scoring Charts
Senior Bridgett Murphy is beginning to move up the Academy top 10 charts. Murphy's 39 career points is eighth all-time at the Academy and the most by a Falcon in the Mountain West era. her 15 goals are also the most by a Falcon in the MW era. Her five game-winning goals are sixth all-time at AFA and her nine assists are sixth all-time.
Stambaugh Solid In Goal
Sophomore Kelly Stambaugh is off to one of the best starts by an Air Force goalkeeper ever. Stambaugh is cracked the school top ten list in most categories including, wins, minutes, saves, shutouts and goals against average. Her current 0.82 GAA ranks second in the MW.
Scouting The Opponents
- TCU is 6-7-1 on the season after a losses to San Diego State (4-0) and Texas Tech (2-1). Senior forward Jordan Calhoun leads the team with five goals. Freshman Alicien Wright (1.34 GAA) has logged most of the minutes in goal for the Horned Frogs.
- New Mexico is 7-4-3 on the season after tying San Diego State (0-0) and defeating UNLV (1-0) in their last two matches. Senior forward Jennifer Williams leads the Mountain West with seven goals and 15 points. Junior Kelli Cornell leads the MW with a 0.74 GAA.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 17-29-6 in his third year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Dan Abdalla (UNLV 1997) is 56-61-9 in his seventh year at TCU. Abdalla is 110-99-17 in his 12th year as a head coach.
- Kit Vela (Brown 1990) is 88-80-37 in her 11th year at New Mexico.
Series History vs. TCU
- Air Force is 2-6-1 all-time vs. TCU.
- In the last meeting, Air Force defeated TCU 1-0, snapping a 41-game regular-season winless streak against MWC opponents, dating back to a 2-0 victory over New Mexico on Oct. 31, 2003. In addition, the Falcons had lost 22 straight conference games since a scoreless tie with TCU on Oct. 22, 2006.
- Air Force senior Cassie Wilson is the lone Falcon from Texas. Wilson hails from Spring and attended Klein Oak High School.
- TCU has one player on its roster from Colorado.
- Jr. D Elise Kensinger - Colorado Springs, Cheyenne Mountain HS
Series History vs. New Mexico
- Air Force is 7-11 all-time vs. New Mexico
- The Falcons have dropped seven in a row to UNM, including the last four meetings by 1-0 scores.
- AFA's last win over New Mexico came in 2003.
New Mexico Connections
- New Mexico has three players on its roster from Colorado.
- Jr. MF/F Stephanie Rowe - Littleton, Chatfield HS
- Jr. MF Chandler Guetz - Kiowa, Ponderosa HS
- Sr. MF Amanda Collins - Aurora, Grandview HS
Air Force hosts a pair of conference matches vs. UNLV and San Diego State. The Falcons host UNLV on Friday, Oct. 21 and SDSU on Sunday, Oct. 23.