Sept. 27, 2011
Complete Release in PDF Format | Wilson Interview
Nebraska Omaha Mavericks (3-4-2) vs. Air Force Falcons (4-5-2)
Friday, Sept. 30, 7 p.m. @ Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (1-7-3) vs. Air Force Falcons
Sunday, Oct. 2, 11 a.m. @ Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
Free Admission for all Air Force soccer home matches.
Air Force Hosts Nebraska Omaha & Northern Arizona In Final Non-Conference Matches
The Air Force women's soccer team wraps-up its non-conference slate with a pair of home matches Sept. 30 and Oct. 2. The Falcons take on Nebraska Omaha on Friday and Northern Arizona Sunday.
Air Force tied both of their matches last weekend at the Crusader Classic in Valparaiso, Ind. The Falcons tied IUPUI 2-2 on Friday and Valparaiso 0-0 on Sunday. Bridgett Murphy, Stephanie Patterson and Cassie Wilson were named to the All-Tournanament team.
Freshman forward McKenna Fox leads the Falcons with four goals and 10 points. Fox ranks fourth in the MW in goals and points. Senior forward Bridgett Murphy is second in the conference with four assists and sixth with eight points. Sophomore Kelly Stambaugh leads the Falcons with 695 minutes at goalkeeper. Stambaugh has a 1.04 goals against average.
First Hat Trick Since 2002
Air Force freshman forward McKenna Fox netted a hat trick in her second-career collegiate game, scoring three goals against CSU-Pueblo on Aug. 19. It was Air Force's first hat trick since then-freshman Jennifer Rowland scored three goals against Georgia State in 2001.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force is coming off one of its most successful seasons ever as a Div. I program in 2010, going 8-9-2 overall, its winningest season since 2001. The eight wins were more than the win totals of the previous three-years combined.
Air Force returns 12 letterwinners, including 10 starters from the 2010 team. The Falcons also welcome 13 newcomers, including 11 freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a junior forward and three-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a senior forward.
Scouting The Opponents
- Nebraska Omaha is 3-4-2 on the season after losses at North Dakota State (3-1) and UMKC (2-1) last weekend. Sophomore forward Katie Pickinpaugh leads the team with three goals. Sophomores Katelyn Tschida (1.69 GAA) has logged every minute in goal for the Mavericks.
- Northern Arizona is 1-7-3 on the season after tying TCU (1-1) and losing at Texas Tech (5-0) last weekend. Senior midfielder Sam Monahan leads the Lumberjacks with four goals. Sophomore Lauren Weaver has logged the most minutes at goalkeeper for NAU and has a 2.23 GAA.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 15-29-5 in his third year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Don Klosterman (Benedictine 1974) is 196-56-12 in his 13th year at Nebraska Omaha. Klosterman is 213-86-15 in his 16th year as a head coach.
- Andre Luciano (Indiana 1989) is 82-98-24 in his 11th year as a head coach at Northern Arizona.
Series History vs. Opponents
- Air Force takes on Nebraksa Omaha for the first time.
- Air Force is 0-1 all-time vs. Northern Arizona. Last year, the Lumberjacks defeated the Falcons 1-0 in Flagstaff, Ariz.
Air Force opens Mountain West play at new conference rival Boise State, next Saturday, Oct. 8.