Sept. 26, 2012
Release in PDF
Air Force Falcons (5-2-3) vs. Fresno State Bulldogs (2-6-3)
Sunday, Sept. 30, 1 p.m. @ Bulldog Stadium - Fresno, CA
The Last Meeting
September 18, 2011
Live Stats: goAirForceFalcons.com
Air Force Opens MW Play At Fresno State
Air Force women's soccer opens Mountain West play at new conference rival Fresno State this Sunday, Sept. 30. Kickoff is 1 p.m. PST.
Air Force returns 16 letterwinners and eight starters. The Falcons welcome 11 newcomers. Air Force returns three of its top four scorers from last season, including leading 2011 scorer in sophomore midfielder McKenna Fox.
Air Force went 6-10-3 and finished fifth in the Mountain West Conference in 2011. The Falcons graduated four seniors, all starters.
Air Force rallied to defeat Sam Houston State 2-1 last Friday. A pair of second-half goals from Stephanie Patterson lifted the Falcons to the win and kept the team undefeated at home.
Senior forward Stephanie Patterson leads the Falcons in scoring with five goals and 10 points. Junior Kelly Stambaugh has a 0.56 goals against average in goal and has 49 saves in 961 minutes.
Stambaugh Amongst NCAA Leaders
Air Force goalkeeper Kelly Stambaugh is ranked amongst the nation's Top 20 in a pair of categories. The junior is 20th in the nation with a 0.56 goals allowed average and 16th in saves percentage (.891). Stambaugh has allowed just six goals in 961 minutes, and has five shutouts on the season. Her 0.98 career GAA is the best ever at Air Force.
Senior defender Kim Koeppen and senior midfielder Sophia Lockerby are the team captains for the 2012 season.
Scouting The Opponents
Fresno State is 2-6-3 after wins over CSU Bakersfield (3-0) and Cal Poly (2-1). Forward Callie Hancock leads the team with six goals scored. Katie DeVault has a 1.90 GAA in goal for the Bulldogs.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 22-36-9 in his fourth year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Brian Zwaschka (Grandview 1992) is 28-33-13 in his fourth year at Fresno State.
- Air Force has seven players on its roster from California, the most of any state.
- Fresno State senior forward Callie Hancock is a Littleton, Colo., native. Hancock attended Chatfield High School.
- Air Force 0-2 all-time vs. Fresno State.
- Last year, the Bulldogs beat the Falcons 2-0 at the Academy in a non-conference match.
Air Force plays host to UNLV next Friday, Oct. 5.