Sept. 21, 2010
Complete Release in PDF Format
2010 FALCON INVITATIONAL - Sept. 24 & 26
Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
Free admission for all four games.
UNLV Rebels (6-3) vs. VMI Keydets (1-7) - 4 p.m.
Weber State Wildcats (0-9) vs. Air Force Falcons (6-3-1) - 6 p.m.
VMI vs. Air Force - 11 a.m.
UNLV vs. Weber State - 1 p.m.
Air Force Hosts Falcon Invitational
The Air Force women's soccer team hosts the Falcon Invitational this weekend, Sept. 24 & 26, at the Cadet Soccer Stadium. Friday's action pits UNLV vs. VMI in game one (4 p.m.) and Weber State vs. Air Force (6 p.m.) in game two. One Sunday, VMI and Air Force (11 a.m.) clash in the morning game with UNLV taking on Weber State (1 p.m.) in the second game. Admission is free for all four matches.
Air Force returns 15 letterwinners, including eight starters in 2009. The Falcons also welcome seven freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a sophomore forward and two-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a junior forward.
Recapping Last Weekend
Air Force is 6-3-1 on the season after splitting its matches at Northern Arizona (L, 1-0) and vs. Southern Utah (W, 5-0). The Falcons were blanked Friday vs. NAU but rebounded with a 5-0 win over Southern Utah on Sunday. Bridgett Murphy and Stephanie Patterson each scored two goals and had an assist. Eryn Avjian also netted her first-career goal and added an assist.
Already A Strong Season
Midway through the season, Air Force has reached numbers not seen in several years. Below are some of the numbers.
Category/#/Best total since (#)
Team Statistical Leaders
Sophomore forward Stephanie Patterson leads the team with 12 points four goals and four assists. Freshman Kelly Stambaugh has logged 890 minutes in front of the net for Air Force and has a 0.81 goals against average and 45 saves.
Scouting The Opponents
- Weber State is 0-9 on the season after dropping matches to Cal Poly (4-0) and UC Santa Barbara (2-0) last weekend. Junior midfielder Ari Wood leads the team with two goals and five points. Alyson Hanson and Ryann Waldman have split duties at goalkeeper and have a 2.84 combined GAA.
- VMI is 1-7 on the season after dropping matches to Howard (2-0) and Navy (4-0) in its last two matches. Junior midfielders Amanda Berrios and Sarah Strand have scored VMI's two goals on the season. Heidi Beemer and Angela Redmond have split most of the goalkeeping duties for the Keydets and have a team GAA of 3.50.
- Larry Friend is in his second year as the head coach at Air Force. The 1985 USAFA grad is 8-18-2 as a head coach.
- Tim Crompton (Weber State `96) is 53-61-10 in his seventh year as head coach at Weber State.
- Bryan Williams (Washington & Lee `81) is 35-64-6 in his sixth season at VMI and is 65-142-15 in his 12th year overall as a head coach.
Series History/Connections vs. Opponents
- VMI is Air Force's second military academy opponent this season. The Falcons played the Citadel to a 1-1 tie on Sept. 3.
- Air Force takes on VMI for the first time.
- Air Force is 1-1 all-time vs. Weber State, losing 4-2 in 1997 and winning 5-2 in 2001.
Air Force opens Mountain West Conference play hosting Utah on Friday, Oct. 1. Kickoff is 6 p.m.