Sept. 14, 2010
***Kickoff Times Updated***
Air Force Falcons (5-2-1) vs. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (1-3-2)
Friday, Sept. 17, 4 p.m. MST Lumberjack Stadium - Flagstaff, Ariz.
Air Force Falcons vs. Southern Utah Thunderbirds (2-2-1)
Sunday, Sept. 19, 12 p.m. MST Lumberjack Stadium - Flagstaff, Ariz.
Air Force Hits The Road To Play Northern Arizona and Southern Utah
The Air Force women's soccer team heads to Flagstaff, Ariz., for a pair of road matches this weekend, Sept. 17 & 19. The Falcons take on Northern Arizona on Friday, Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. (PST) and face Southern Utah on Sunday, Sept. 19 at 1 p.m. Live stats will be available for both matches.
Air Force returns 15 letterwinners, including eight starters in 2009. The Falcons also welcome seven freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a sophomore forward and two-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a junior forward.
Recapping Last Weekend
Air Force won the Catamount Classic last weekend, defeating tourney host Western Carolina (2-1) and Mercer (1-0). The Falcons got goals by freshmen Kaleigh Moses and Leah Bratt vs. Western Carolina and sophomore Stephanie Patterson scored the lone goal in the match vs. Mercer.
Most Wins Since 2003
With its two wins last weekend, the Falcons have five wins on the season, its most as a program since winning seven matches in 2003. The two road wins are also the most by Air Force since 2002.
Patterson Earns Accolades
Sophomore forward Stephanie Patterson earned Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the week and Air Force athletics Athlete of the Week honors for her performance last weekend.
Patterson, a native of Versailles, Ky., tallied three points last weekend in leading Air Force to the Catamount Classic title in Cullowhee, N.C. Patterson began her week by recording an assist on the Falcons' first goal in the team's 2-1 victory over tournament host Western Carolina on Friday night. On Sunday afternoon, she capped off her weekend by scoring the lone goal in Air Force's 1-0 victory over Mercer.
Team Statistical Leaders
Sophomore forward Stephanie Patterson leads the team with eight points and four assists. Freshman forward Megan Dozier leads Air Force with three goals. Freshman Kelly Stambaugh has logged all 755 minutes in front of the net for Air Force and has a 0.83 goals against average and 38 saves.
Scouting The Opponents
- Northern Arizona is 1-3-2 on the season after defeating Cal State Fullerton (3-2) and losing to USC (3-1) last weekend. Senior defender Kristi Andreassen leads the Lumberjacks with three goals and seven points. Freshman Lauren Weaver has logged 490 minutes in front of the net for NAU and has a 1.47 GAA.
- Southern Utah is 2-2-1 after tying Northern Colorado (1-1) and falling to Idaho State (4-3) last weekend. Junior Riley Bassett leads the team with six goals scored. Sophomore Charly Booth has logged 470 minutes in front of the net for SUU and has a 1.34 GAA.
- Larry Friend is in his second year as the head coach at Air Force. The 1985 USAFA grad is 7-17-2 as a head coach.
- Andre Luciano (Indiana `89) is 70-90-20 in his 10th year as head coach at northern Arizona.
- Brian Stock (Akron `93) is 43-105-18 in his 10th season at Southern Utah.
Series History/Connections vs. Opponents
- Air Force takes on both Northern Arizona and Southern Utah for the first time.
- Air Force sophomore defender Kim Koeppen and Southern Utah junior forward McKenzie Hadley are both Eagle, Idaho, natives and attended Eagle High School.
- Air Force sophomore defender Kristi Whiteman is an Arizona native, hailing from Scottsdale and attending Horizon High School.
Air Force plays host to the Falcon Invitational, Fri.-Sun., Sept. 24 & 26. Friday's action pits UNLV vs. VMI in game one at 4 p.m., followed by the Falcons taking on Weber State at 6 p.m. Sunday's action has Air Force taking on VMI in the morning game at 11 a.m., followed by Weber State taking on UNLV at 1 p.m.