Aug. 25, 2011
Weekly Release In PDF Format
2011 Media Guide
8/24 Murphy Q&A
2011 Bronco Invite
Gonzaga Bulldogs (0-2-0) vs. Air Force Falcons (2-0-0)
Friday, August 26, 2:30 p.m. @ Boas Tennis and Soccer Complex - Boise, Idaho
Eastern Washington Eagles (0-2-0) vs. Air Force Falcons
Sunday, August 28, 11 a.m. @ Boas Tennis and Soccer Complex - Boise, Idaho
Air Force Travels To Bronco Invite
The Air Force women's soccer team travels to Boise, Idaho to take part in the Bronco Invite, this Fri.-Sun., Aug. 26-28. The Falcons take on Gonzaga Friday and Eastern Washington on Sunday.
Air Force won both of its matches last weekend to open the 2011 season. The Falcons downed The Colorado School of Mines 4-1 on Friday and CSU-Pueblo 4-0 on Sunday.
Best Start Since 2003
With their two wins last weekend, the Falcons open the season 2-0 for the first time since 2003. The 2003 teams' 3-0 start is the best in school history.
Freshman McKenna Fox Earns MW Player of the Week Honors with Hat-Trick vs. CSU-Pueblo
Air Force freshman midfielder McKenna Fox was named Mountain West Co-Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, Aug. 22.
Fox, a native of Alpine, Utah, notched Air Force's first hat-trick since 2001 in the Falcons' 4-1 victory over CSU-Pueblo on Sunday in Colorado Springs, Colo. The last Air Force women's soccer student-athlete to accomplish that feat was Jennifer Rowland against Georgia State on Sept. 21, 2001. Fox scored the first goal of the match just 2:49 into the contest and then added two more scores early in the second half. She also recorded an assist in the Falcons' 4-1 win over Colorado School of Mines on Friday night, finishing the two-game slate with four points.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force is coming off one of its most successful seasons ever as a Div. I program in 2010, going 8-9-2 overall, its winningest season since 2001. The eight wins were more than the win totals of the previous three-years combined.
Air Force returns 12 letterwinners, including 10 starters from the 2010 team. The Falcons also welcome 13 newcomers, including 11 freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a junior forward and three-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a senior forward.
Scouting The Opponents
Gonzaga opened its season with losses at #24 Illinois (5-1) and Loyola-Chicago (1-0) last weekend. Freshman M/F Tori Lee scored the Bulldogs' lone goal this season. Junior Susan Brown started both games at goalkeeper and has a 3.00 goals-against average.
Eastern Washington opened the season with losses to Florida Gulf Coast (4-1) and Robert Morris (3-1) last weekend. Senior MF Kirsten Fausko and and sophomore F Siara Byers scored goals for the Eagles. Freshman Nathalie Schwery and junior Jamie Walker split goalkeeping duties.
- Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 12-24-3 in his third year as the head coach at Air Force.
- Amy Edwards (Tulsa 1992) is 16-25-1 in her third year at Gonzaga. Edwards is 63-50-7 in her eighth year as a head coach.
- George Hageage (Richmond 1988) is 58-123-5 in his 12th year at EWU. Hageage is 61-154-15 in his 14th year as a head coach.
- Gonzaga's sophomore forwrd Cassie Geerdts is the lone player on the team from Colorado. Geerdts is a native of Parker and attended Regis Jesuit High School. Geerdts will miss the 2011 season due to injury.
- Eastern Washington freshman midfielder Haley Stading is the long player on the team from Colorado. Stading is from Evergreen, having attended Evergreen High School.
Series History vs. Opponents
- Air Force is 1-1 all-time vs. Gonzaga. The Falcons defeated the Bulldogs 2-1 in 2002 and lost 4-1 in 2003.
- Air Force takes on Eastern Washington for the first time.
Air Force plays host to Northern Colorado for its lone game next week. The Falcons host the Bears on Friday, Sept. 2. Kickoff is 5 p.m. at the Cadet Soccer Stadium.