Aug 22, 2013
Notes in PDF
Air Force Falcons (0-0-0) at Montana Grizzlies (0-0-0) - Montana Kickoff Invitational
Friday, Aug. 23, 5:30 p.m. @ South Campus Stadium - Missoula, Mont.
Air Force Falcons vs. TCU Horned Frogs (0-0-0) - Montana Kickoff Invitational
Sunday, Aug. 25, 10:30 a.m. @ South Campus Stadium - Missoula, Mont.
Live Stats: Available for both matches at goAirForceFalcons.com
Live Video: GoGriz.com (subscription required)
Air Force Opens 2013 at Montana Kickoff Invite
The Last Meeting
August 19, 2012
Late Heroics Lift Air Force To 1-0 Win Over Montana
Air Force broke up a tough match with Montana with a goal in the 80th minute to pull out a gutty 1-0 win Sunday afternoon at the Cadet Soccer Stadium. The win lifted the Falcons to 2-0 on the season while the Grizzlies dropped to 1-1.
The Last Meeting
October 14, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
Air Force women's soccer opens the 2013 season at the Montana Kickoff Invitational in Missoula, Mont. The Falcons take on tournament host Montana on Friday, Aug. 23 and former conference rival TCU on Sunday, Aug. 25. Live video and stats are available for both matches (audio with video for Montana match, video only for TCU match).
Air Force returns 13 letterwinners and six starters. The Falcons welcome 12 freshmen.
Air Force went 5-9-3 and finished eighth in the Mountain West Conference in 2012.
Air Force's top returning goal scorer is senior midfielder Leah Bratt, who was second last year with three goals. Senior forward Megan Dozier is the top returning points and assists leader, ranking second with eight points and first with four assists last season. Senior Kelly Stambaugh enters her fourth year as the starting goalkeeper. Her 1.06 career GAA is the lowest in school history.
Air Force is 8-13 all time in season openers. The Falcons are 0-4 when opening on the road. Last season, the Falcons opened with a 3-0 win over Lamar.
Senior midfielder Leah Bratt and senior defender Loren Catchpole are the team captains for the 2013 season.
Montana returns 12 letterwinners and seven starters off the 2012 team that went 12-6-3, winning a share of the Big Sky Conference title. Montana's three top returning scorers all had 10 points each last year.
TCU went 7-10-4 a season ago, finishing 8th in the Big 12 Conference. Defender Kelly Johnson and forward Brittany Slyman are the Horned Frogs' leading returning scorers with 10 points each.
Larry Friend (USAFA 1985) is 22-43-9 entering his fifth year as the head coach at Air Force.
Mark Plakorous (Kansas 1999) is 18-18-7 at Montana entering his third year at Montana.
Eric Bell (College of Wooster 1992) enters his second year at TCU with a 7-10-4 record.
- Montana head coach Mark Plakorous was and assistant coach with the Air Force soccer program from 1999-2001.
- Montana has three players on its roster from Colorado, including one from Colorado Springs. Sophomore defender Brooke Moody hails from Parker and attended Regis Jesuit High School. Freshman goalkeeper Kailey Norman is from Highlands Ranch and attended Valor Christian High School. Freshman forward Aspen Peifer is from Colorado Springs and attended Cheyenne Mountain High School.
- Air Force has three players from the greater Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Sophomore Ally Swift is from Aledo and freshmen Noelle Heiser and Maddie Lundberg hail from Frisco. Lundberg and TCU defender Morgan Lane were high school teammates at Wakeland High School.
Series History vs. Opponents
- Air Force is 1-3 vs. Montana. The Falcons lost 5-0 in the first meeting in 1997, 3-1 in 1998 and 1-0 in 2003. Last year, the Falcons won 1-0 on a goal by Leah Bratt.
- Air Force and TCU were WAC rivals from 1996-98 and MWC rivals from 2005-11. The Frogs have a 7-2-1 edge in the series. TCU won the last meeting in 2011 2-1.
Air Force plays one game next weekend, traveling up the road to take on Colorado on Friday, Aug. 30. Kickoff is at 5 pm in Boulder.