Aug. 17, 2010
Complete Release in PDF Format
2010 Media Guide
• CSU Pueblo Thunderwolves (0-0-0) vs. Air Force Falcons (0-0-0)
Friday, August 20, 7 p.m. @ Cadet Soccer Stadium - USAFA, Colo.
-- Free T-Shirts to first 100 fans (attendance is free for all AFA home games)
-- Meet with coaches and autograph session with players after the games.
• Air Force Falcons at Northern Colorado Bears (0-0-0)
Sunday, August 22, 2 p.m. @ Jackson Stadium - Greeley, Colo.
Air Force Opens 2010 vs. CSU-Pueblo and Northern Colorado
The Air Force women's soccer team opens the 2010 season with a pair of matches the weekend of Aug. 20-22. The Falcons host CSU-Pueblo on Friday, Aug. 20, beginning at 7 p.m. and then travel to Northern Colorado on Sunday, Aug. 20 for a 2 p.m. match. Free t-shirts will be available to the first 100 fans to attend the CSU-Pueblo match. Attendance is free to all Air Force soccer matches.
Quick Recap of 2009
Air Force went 2-15-1 and 0-7 in Mountain West Conference play in 2009. The Falcons featured one of the youngest teams in the nation as 23 of 26 players on the team were freshmen or sophomores. Larry Friend completed his first year as Air Force's second-ever head coach. Friend replaced long-time coach Marty Buckley, who stepped down after the 2008 season.
Air Force returns 15 letterwinners, including eight starters in 2009. The Falcons also welcome seven freshmen. Air Force returns leading scorer Stephanie Patterson, a sophomore forward and two-time All-MWC selection in Bridgett Murphy, a junior forward.
Falcons Drop 2-1 Scrimmage at Colorado
Air Force battled hard, but ultimately lost 2-1 at Colorado in a preseason exhibition Sunday at Prentup Field. After surrendering an early goal, Air Force tied it up in the 62nd minute on sophomore Stephanie Patterson's goal. CU scored the game-winner in the 68th minute.
In Season Openers
Air Force is 5-13 all-time in season-openers. The Falcons are 5-9 all-time when opening the season at home. AFA's last season-opening win was in 2003, a 4-2 victory over Northern Illinois.
Juniors Krystin Shanklin, Meagan Eissele and Cassie Wilson will be the Air Force team captains for 2010.
Scouting The Opponents
- CSU-Pueblo went 5-13-2 in 2009, going 4-11-1 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC). The Thunderwolves return its leading scorer in sophomore forward Brittany Montgomery.
- Northern Colorado returns nine starters off the 2009 team that went 6-10-1, finishing sixth in the Big Sky Conference. The Bears return its leading scorer in junior forward Ariel Cook.
- Larry Friend is in his second year as the head coach at Air Force. The 1985 USAFA grad went 2-15-1 in his first year in 2009.
- Janet Cassidy is in her second year as head coach at CSU-Pueblo. Cassidy is a 2001 San Diego State grad.
- Tim Barrera has a 99-102-10 record entering his 12th year at UNC. Barrera, a 1986 Virginia Tech grad. is 158-139-13 in 17 years as a head coach.
- Air Force volunteer assistant coach Kiha Sutta is 2003 graduate of Northern Colorado. Sutta was a four-year letterwinner for UNC from 1999-2002.
- Northern Colorado freshman defender Meaghan Evans is an Air Academy High School graduate. Air Academy is located on the USAFA grounds.
Series History vs. Opponents
- Air Force takes on CSU-Pueblo in a regulation game for the first time. The two teams played an exhibition match last year.
- Air Force is 4-7 all-time vs. Northern Colorado. The Bears defeated the Falcons 3-1 last year. UNC has won the last five meetings. AFA's last win over UNC was in 2004.
Air Force hosts a pair of games next week, hosting Boise State and Dayton. The Falcons take on the Broncos on Friday, Aug. 27 at 7 p.m. and the Flyers on Sunday, Aug. 29 at 11 a.m.