Feb. 28, 2008
Game Notes in PDF Format
BYU Cougars (13-12, 7-6) vs. Air Force Falcons (9-16, 3-10)
Saturday, March 1, 2008 2 p.m. (MST)
USAFA, Colo. Clune Arena (5,838)
Radio is available via internet at www.goairforcefalcons.com. Jay Ritchie calls the action for the Falcons, beginning at 1:45 p.m.
Air Force defeated Colorado State, 62-53, on Sunday, Feb. 24.
BYU lost to New Mexico, 45-55, on Tuesday, Feb. 26.
Air Force is at TCU on Wednesday, March 5.
BYU is at Wyoming on Wednesday, March 5.
Air Force has a one game winning streak.
BYU has a one game losing streak.
- The Falcons are 6-6 at home. The Cougars are 4-8 on the road.
Air Force is coached by Ardie McInelly (Boise State, 1982), who is 49-145 in her seventh season at the Academy and 126-207 in her 12th year overall as a head coach.
BYU is coached by Jeff Judkins (Utah, 1978), who is 116-64 in his 5th year.
BYU defeated Air Force, 52-47, on Jan. 30, 2008 in Provo, Utah.
Series History vs. BYU
- Air Force and BYU have met 20 times with the Cougars having won every contest.
- The two teams first met on Jan. 24, 1998, a 103-60 BYU win in Provo.
- Air Force's last game against the Cougars, a 47-52, loss is the closest game ever in the series.
(More series info, including box score of last meeting on page six of release)
Last Meeting vs. BYU
In the closest game ever in the series, Air Force lost a 52-47 heartbreaker at BYU Wednesday night in Mountain West Conference women's basketball action at the Marriott Center.
The previous closest game ever in the series was a 78-66 Cougar win in 1998.
Trailing 50-47, the Falcons' last two three-point attempts were blocked and BYU (10-8, 4-2). The Cougars sank a pair of three throws with five seconds left to seal the win.
Seniors Jamie Davis and Pamela Findlay, and freshman Raimee Beck reached double-figures in scoring. The trio picked up the slack for the Falcons as leading scorer and rebounder Alecia Steele was limited to seven minutes in the second-half due to a hamstring injury.
Beck led Air Force with 13 points, making three, three-point baskets and dishing out three assists. Findlay scored 12 points, and made 8-of-8 free throws. The senior has not missed a free throw since the Dec. 8 game against Wisconsin. Davis scored 11 points, all in the first-half, making a career-high three, three pointers.
BYU was led by Mallary Carling, who scored 24 points, 16 in the second-half. Lauren Varley added nine points 15 rebounds and five blocked shots.
Air Force played inspired defense while Davis' hot shooting gave the Falcons a 22-20 lead at the half. BYU went ahead 5-0 to start the game, but AFA responded with a 17-3 run to jump ahead 17-8 with eight minutes left in the first half.
The Cougars were held to one three-point basket over an 11-minute span in the first-half while shooting just 34.6 percent from the field. Davis, meanwhile led the Falcons with 11 points and made all-three three-point attempts. The Falcons shot 31 percent from the field but made 50 percent of her shots.
- BYU enters the weekend with a 13-12 overall record and 7-6 conference mark after losing to New Mexico, 45-55, on Tuesday.
- The Cougars are led by senior guard Mallary Carling, who leads the team with 14.2 ppg.
- BYU is averaging 54.9 points per game and allowing 57.2.
Scouting Air Force
- Air Force is 9-16 on the season and 3-10 in MWC play. The Falcons defeated Colorado State, 62-53, on Wednesday.
- Senior forward Alecia Steele leads the team with 12.2 points per game and is third in the MWC averaging 7.2 rebounds per game.
- Senior Pamela Findlay is second on the team averaging 10.7 points per game and ranks third in the conference in three-point percentage (40.0) and first in free throw percentage (86.8).
- Air Force is averaging 57.6 points per game and allowing 64.5.
Air Force-BYU Connections
- BYU has two players on its roster from Colorado. Sophomore guard Amy Alleto hails from Parker and attended Ponderosa High School. Freshman guard Mindy Neilson hails from Centennial and attended Regis Jesuit High School.
Complete notes in pdf release at top of page.