Feb. 4, 2008
Game Notes in PDF Format
San Diego State Aztecs (12-7, 3-4) vs. Air Force Falcons (7-12, 1-6)
Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2008 7 p.m. (MST)
USAF Academy, Colo. Clune Arena (5,838)
Radio is available online at www.goairforcefalcons.com. Jay Ritchie calls the action beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Air Force lost to TCU, 49-67, on Saturday, Feb. 2.
San Diego State defeated Colorado State, 86-52, on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Air Force is at Utah on Saturday, Feb. 9.
San Diego State hosts TCU on Saturday, Feb. 9.
Air Force has a two losing streak.
San Diego State has a three game winning streak.
- The Falcons are 4-5 at home. The Aztecs are 4-3 on the road.
Air Force is coached by Ardie McInelly (Boise State, 1982), who is 47-141 in her seventh season at the Academy and 124-203 in her 12th year overall as a head coach.
San Diego State is coached by Beth Burns (Ohio Wesleyan, 1979), who is 188-130 in her 11th year and 259-195 in her 16th year overall as a head coach.
Air Force defeated San Diego State, 60-52, on Feb. 15, 2007.
Series History vs. San Diego State
- Air Force and San Diego State have met 20 times with the Astecs having won 15 of the meetings.
- The two teams first met on Jan. 11, 1997, a 70-41 Aztec win in San Diego.
- Air Force is 4-6 at home against SDSU and have won the last three meetings in Clune Arena.
(More series info, including box score of last meeting on page six of PDF release)
Last Meeting vs. San Diego State
Coming up with some big defensive plays in the second half, the Air Force women's basketball team defeated visiting San Diego State, 60-52, Thursday evening in Clune Arena for its first conference win of the season.
Air Force led early as junior Pamela Findlay scored the first five points of the game, but the Aztecs came back to tie the contest at 5-5. With the Falcons later leading 11-10, San Diego State put together a 6-0 run and did not trail again in the opening half. Although Air Force outshot SDSU in the first period, the Falcons committed 13 first-half turnovers as the Aztecs went into the locker room with a 31-23 advantage.
SDSU extended its lead to 10 points to start the second-half, but a 10-0 run by the Falcons tied the game at 33-33. After the game was tied twice more, the Aztecs began to pull away for a 44-39 advantage. However, an Air Force run gave the Falcons their first lead of the half at 45-44 with just under six and a half minutes to play. The advantage grew to five points before the Aztecs were able to get back within one at 49-48.
Senior Dawn Higginbotham started off the Falcons' next run with a score off the offensive glass, while sophomore Brooke Cultra made a pair of baskets after stealing the ball on two consecutive possessions. Suddenly the Falcons were back up by seven with 2:41 left in the contest.
The Aztecs were not done, scoring the next four points to cut the margin to 55-52, but the Falcons closed out the game with five points in the final minute, including three from the foul line, to take the 60-52 victory.
Both teams grabbed 35 rebounds, but San Diego State held the advantage on the offensive glass, 23-13. Meanwhile, Air Force shot nearly 49 percent from the field and got to the charity stripe 21 times, compared to just 11 for the Aztecs.
Cultra finished with 12 points and six rebounds to lead Air Force, while Findlay added 11 points in the contest. Also scoring in double figures for the Falcons was Higginbotham, who was perfect from the field and the foul line. For the Aztecs, Shannon Clay scored 12 points, while Shanna Demus added 11 points.
Scouting San Diego State
- San Diego State enters the week with a 12-7 overall record and 3-4 conference mark after defeating Colorado State, 86-52, last Wednesday.
- The Aztecs are led by sophomore guard Jene Morris, who leads the team with 13.3 points and 2.4 assists per game.
- SDSU is averaging 68.7 points per game and allowing 61.0.
Scouting Air Force
- Air Force is 7-12 on the season and 1-6 in MWC play. The Falcons lost a close one to TCU, 49-67, last Saturday.
- Senior forward Alecia Steele leads the team with 13.8 points per game and is second in the MWC averaging 7.9 rebounds per game.
- Senior Pamela Findlay is second on the team averaging 12.1 points per game and ranks first in the conference in three-point percentage (46.4) and free throw percentage (87.2).
- Air Force is averaging 59.8 points per game and allowing 64.3.
Complete notes in PDF link at top of page.