Jan. 15, 2008
Complete Wyoming-Air Force media notes in PDF Format
#20 Wyoming Cowgirls (14-1, 2-0) vs. Air Force Falcons (6-8, 0-2)
Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2008 7 p.m. (MST)
USAF Academy, Colo. Clune Arena (5,838)
Radio is available locally at the Sports Animal (KKML) 1300 AM and online at www.goairforcefalcons.com. Jay Ritchie calls the action beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Air Force lost at UNLV, 48-58, on Saturday, Jan. 12.
Wyoming defeated TCU, 62-45, on Saturday, Jan. 12.
Air Force hosts New Mexico on Saturday, Jan. 16.
Wyoming is at San Diego State on Saturday, Jan. 16.
Air Force has a three-game losing streak.
Wyoming has an eight game winning streak.
- The Falcons are 4-2 at home. The Cowgirls are 7-1 on the road.
Air Force is coached by Ardie McInelly (Boise State, 1982), who is 46-137 in her seventh season at the Academy and 123-199 in her 12th year overall as a head coach.
Wyoming is coached by Joe Legerski (Wyoming, 1979), who is 89-49 in his fifth year.
Wyoming defeated Air Force, 64-35, on Feb. 28, 2007 in Laramie, Wyo.
Series History vs. Wyoming
- Air Force and Wyoming have met 31 times with the Cowgirls owning a 29-2 advantage in the series.
- The two teams first met on Nov. 27, 1979, a 63-56 Wyoming win at the Academy.
- Air Force's two wins against Wyoming came in 1985 and 2001, both at home.
- Wyoming has won five in a row in the series.
(More series info, including box score of last meeting on page six of PDF release)
Last Meeting vs. Wyoming
Shooting just 28 percent from the field, the Air Force women's basketball team fell to Wyoming, 64-35, Wednesday night at Arena Auditorium.
Wyoming grabbed the early 3-0 lead and never trailed in the opening half. Although Air Force trailed by just one early in the game, the Falcons shot just 20 percent from the field in the first period and went into the locker room trailing 26-11.
Although Air Force improved its field goal percentage in the second half, the Falcons only fell further behind, as Wyoming drained five baskets from long range after the break. Air Force was also hurt by its turnovers, committing 17 in the game, compared to just seven for the Cowgirls. The Falcons trailed by as many as 31 points before the final 64-35 tally.
Sophomore Brooke Cultra scored the Falcons' last four field goals to finish the game with a team-high eight points, while Alecia Steele added seven points and seven rebounds. The Cowgirls had four players scoring in double figures, led by Hanna Zavecz with 13 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
- Wyoming enters the week with a 14-1 overall record and 2-0 conference mark after defeating New Mexico and TCU last week.
- The Cowgirls are the first ranked team Air Force has played in 2007-08.
- The Cowgirls are led by senior duo of Hanna Zavecz and Justyna Podziemska. Zavecz leads the team with 14.3 points per game to go with 5.7 rebounds. Pdziemska is second on the team with 12.8 points to go with 5.3 rebounds.
- Seven of the 15 players on Wyomings' roster hail from outside the U.S. and come from four different countries. Four players hail from Australia.
- The Cowgirls are averaging 63.3 points per game and allowing 51.9.
Scouting Air Force
- Air Force is 6-8 on the season. The Falcons lost at home to Utah, 60-50, and at UNLV, 58-48. last week.
- Senior forward Alecia Steele leads the team with 14.4 points per game and a conference-leading 8.8 rebounds per game. She re-aggravated a right ankle sprain, suffered earlier this year, against Utah and missed the UNLV game. Her status for the Wyoming game is to be determined.
Senior Pamela Findlay is second on the team averaging 13.6 points per game and leads the MWC with a 46.9 three-point percentage.
- Air Force is averaging 62.9 points per game and allowing 64.9.
Air Force-Wyoming Connections
- Wyoming senior guard Dominique Sisk is a Colorado Springs native. She was a four-year starter at Palmer HS.
- Sophomore center Mallory Cline is the other Wyoming player hailing fro Colorado. Cline is a native of McClave.
Air Force hosts New Mexico on Saturday, Jan. 19
(For Complete list of Air Force-Wyoming media notes, click on the the PDF release link at top of release).