Air Force Knocks Off UNLV, 71-66
Feb. 13, 2008
USAF Academy, Colo. - The Air Force women's basketball team hung on for a 71-66 victory over UNLV, Wednesday night in Mountain West Conference action at Clune Arena. Air Force improved to 8-14 overall and 2-8 in conference play, UNLV fell to 7-16, 3-7.
The Falcons snapped a 10-game losing streak to the Rebels, dating back to 2003. The eight wins by the Air Force is the second-most in the Div. I era.
The Falcons were led by senior Alecia Steele, junior Brooke Cultra and freshman Raimee Beck who combined to scored 37 points. Steele led the Falcons with 14 points and nine rebounds. Cultra had 10 points, five assists and two blocks. Beck had 13 points, six rebounds and four assists.
UNLV was led by senior Sequoia Holmes, who recorded a double-double w ith game-high's of 25 points and 10 boards. Colorado Springs native and Sierra high school graduate, Shamela Hampton, scored 18 and had nine rebounds in her homecoming. Brittany Halberg added 13 points.
The Falcons took a 31-29 lead into halftime after leading by as many as ten points in the opening stanza. In the second half, the Falcons slowly extended their lead before UNLV rallied back. Air Force took a commanding 60-47 lead with a little over six minutes left before the Rebels made their late run.
UNLV made it a two-point game several times with under a minute left in the game, but the Falcons hit five of their last six free throws and got a key basket from Kim Kreke to seal the win.
Kreke had eight points and eight rebounds, to go with three blocked shots. Pamela Findlay had nine points and eight boards, hitting a clutch three-point basket late in the game.
The Falcons return to action Saturday, Feb. 16, at Wyoming.
AF Game Notes:
- Air Force is now 3-21 all-time against the Rebels.
- The 71 points is the third-most points ever scored by the Falcons against UNLV.
- Air Force shot 46.9 percent from the field and made 21-of-29 free throw attempts (72.4 percent)
- Kim Kreke has 26 blocks on the season, moving her into a tie for ninth most swats in a season at Air Force.
- Raimee Beck hit her 41st three-point basket on the season, moving her into a 5th place tie for most three's in a season at Air Force.