June 24, 2011
USAFA, Colo. -
Air Force wrestling head coach Joel Sharratt announced today the arrival of the Class of 2015. This year’s incoming freshman class features 11 wrestlers, including four entries from the Academy Prep School. Featured in the group are four high school state champions and an NCWA All-American.
“We are excited to welcome all our incoming cadet wrestlers in the class of 2015,” said Sharratt. “These guys bring in a wealth of talent and accolades that together combine for 27 state placing honors and nine athletes who have more than 100 high school victories in their prep career.”
“I am very proud of the effort put forth by the Academy, my staff and these athletes to close out our 2015 recruiting class,” continued Sharratt. “The Air Force Academy application process takes a lot of time and effort and so many people play a part of the successful completion of each cadet’s application. It is exciting for me to see the way our admissions office worked hand in hand to close out the appointment offers for each of our young men, as well as the yeoman’s effort by Trapper Carpenter and Sam Barber to get it done.”
“In our effort to add depth at strategic weights we also focused on recruiting the right guys with the right work ethic in our 2015 class,” said Sharratt. “In 2011-12 we are looking to raise the level of intensity in all aspects of the program and these young men will have to be ready to battle when we kick things off. They have the talent and we expect them to be ready to meet the challenges ahead of them in our training and competition.”
Following is a listing of this year’s newcomers, along with a brief summary of their previous athletic accomplishments:
- Jack Carda, Pukwana, S.D. – Two-time state medalist, including a runner-up finish … career record of 108-30.
- Daniel Cotton, Phoenix, Ariz. – Three-time state medalist, including two runner-up finishes … career record of 117-10.
- Jeremy Delzer, Altus, Okla. – Three-time state medalist, including a runner-up finish.
- Cody Hancock, Phelan, Calif. – Attended the Academy Prep School … finished in the top 12 in the state in 2010 … career record of 160-41.
- Joshua Hastings, Pleasant Hill, Mo. – Three-time state medalist, including two runner-up finishes … career record of 148-33.
- Dalton Henderson, Owatonna, Minn. – Attended the Academy Prep School … three-time state medalist … state champion … career record of 143-29 … All-American at NCWA Nationals in 2011, finishing as runner-up.
- Dylan Hyder, Yelm, Wash. – Four-time state medalist … two-time state champion … fifth-place at NHSCA Junior Nationals in 2010 … career record of 124-11.
- Roger Jones II, Brandon, Fla. – Attended the Academy Prep School … state qualifier at 135 pounds in 2010 … career record of 103-32.
- Elijah Levee, Mandeville, La. – Four-time state champion … career record of 205-31 … 129 career falls.
- Carter McElhany, Colorado Springs, Colo. – Four-time state medalist … two-time state champion … 2008 USA Wrestling All-American … career record of 157-8.
- Garrett Wells, Corvallis, Ore. – Attended the Academy Prep School … placed fourth in state in 2010 … compiled a season record of 37-5 … two-time conference champion.
Air Force Wrestling Class of 2015
Name Hometown (High School)
Jack Carda Pukwana, S.D. (Kimball/White Lake HS)
Daniel Cotton Phoenix, Ariz. (Sandra Day O’Connor HS)
Jeremy Delzer Altus, Okla. (Altus HS)
Cody Hancock Phelan, Calif. (Martin Luther King HS/AFA Prep)
Joshua Hastings Pleasant Hill, Mo. (Pleasant Hills HS)
Dalton Henderson Owatonna, Minn. (Owatonna HS/AFA Prep)
Dylan Hyder Yelm, Wash. (Yelm HS)
Roger Jones II Brandon, Fla. (Brandon HS/AFA Prep)
Elijah Levee Mandeville, La. (Mandeville HS)
Carter McElhany Colorado Springs, Colo. (Coronado HS)
Garrett Wells Corvallis, Ore. (Crescent Valley HS/AFA Prep)