Falcons Fall to League-Leader TCU, 6-1
Despite some strong doubles play and a win at No. 1 singles, the Air Force men's tennis team lost its sixth straight MWC match Sunday, falling to 29th-ranked TCU, 6-1, in Albuquerque, N.M. The Horned Frogs are now 12-8 overall and 3-0 in league play while the Falcons are 11-10 and finished conference play at 0-6.
In doubles action, seniors Shannon Buck and Trevor Johnson dropped a tough 9-7 match to Rafael Abreu and Jordan Freitas. The No. 3 match ended up the same score, with TCU's pair of Radu Barbu and Cosmin Cotet downing juniors Ryan White and Keith Cronican. TCU also won at No. 2 doubles to claim the doubles point.
In singles action, Buck won the lone match for the Falcons, downing Abreu, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot to improve to 17-1 overall and 5-1 against MWC opponents at the top spot. Buck, who moved into a tie for seventh place on the school's career dual match wins list with 82, is 28-5 overall this season in singles play. He is 82-7 in his career at the No. 1 spot, improving his school-record winning percentage to 92.1 percent.
TCU won the other five singles matches in straight sets. Junior Robby Alexander put up a good fight at the No. 3 spot before falling to Cotet, 7-5, 6-0.
Air Force plays its final regular season match on Tuesday, April 25 at Point Loma Nazarene in preparation for the MWC Championships, which begin on Thursday, April 27 in San Diego, Calif.
No. 29 TCU 6 Air Force 1
1. Shannon Buck (AFA) def. Rafael Abreu, 6-3, 6-2
2. Jacopo Tezza (TCU) def. Trevor Johnson, 6-1, 6-2
3. Cosmin Cotet (TCU) def. Robby Alexander, 7-5, 6-0
4. Radu Barbu (TCU) def. Greg Ferry, 6-1, 6-4
5. Jordan Freitas (TCU) def. Ryan White, 6-2, 6-1
6. Kriegler Brink (TCU) def. Kyle Epperson, 6-0, 6-0
1. Abreu/Freitas (TCU) def. Buck/Johnson, 9-7
2. Brink/Tezza (TCU) def. Ferry/Alexander, 8-1
3. Barbu/Cotet (TCU) def. White/Cronican, 9-7