New Mexico Downs Air Force, 6-1
The 74th-ranked New Mexico men's tennis team won its first MWC match of the season and kept Air Force winless in league play with a 6-1 victory over the Falcons Saturday in Albuquerque. The Lobos are now 10-6 overall and 1-2 in league play while the Falcons are 11-9 and 0-5.
In doubles action, seniors Shannon Buck and Trevor Johnson won the No. 1 match for Air Force, defeating Max Jones and Kamil Pajkowski, 8-3. New Mexico captured the other two matches to claim the doubles point.
In singles action, Buck won the lone match for the Falcons, downing Johnny Parkes, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot to win for the 16th time in 17 dual matches at the top spot. New Mexico dominated at positions 2-5 as they easily defeated the Falcons in straight sets. Jones won at No. 2 in over Johnson, 6-1, 6-3, while Graeme Kassautzki beat Robby Alexander, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3. Pajkowski handled Keith Cronican, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4 and Eric Conklin and Chandler Brass defeated Greg Ferry and Ryan White at No. 5 and 6, respectively.
Air Force plays its final league match of the season on Sunday, April 9 against No. 29 TCU, beginning at 11 a.m.
No. 74 New Mexico 6, Air Force 1
1. Shannon Buck (AFA) def. Johnny Parkes, 6-0, 6-2
2. Max Jones (UNM) def. Trevor Johnson, 6-1, 6-3
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Robby Alexander, 6-0, 6-2
4. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) def. Keith Cronican, 6-2, 6-2
5. Eric Conklin (UNM) def. Greg Ferry, 6-0, 6-1
6. Chandler Brass (UNM) def. Ryan White, 6-2, 6-1
1. Buck/Johnson (AFA) def. Jones/Pajkowski, 8-3
2. Bugby/Parkes (UNM) def. Ferry/Alexander, 8-4
3. Conklin/Kassautzki (UNM) def. White/Cronican, 8-4