Falcons Split Pair of Matches in Lincoln, Neb.
The Air Force men's tennis team split a pair of matches in Lincoln, Neb., Sunday. The Falcons lost to Nebraska, 6-1, but rebounded for a 7-0 vicotry over Creighton. The split moves Air Force's record to 5-3 this season.
Nebraska jumped on the falcons early, earning the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and 3 spots. Air Force's duo of Shannon Buck and Trevor Johnson won at the top spot, defeating Jerry Posch and Mark Tate, 8-3.
In singles action, Buck captured the only singles win for the Falcons, downing Posch, 7-6, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot. Adrian Szatmary defeated Johnson, 6-4, in the first set before Johnson retired to give Szatmary the win at the No. 2 spot. James Clow picked up a win in the No. 3 slot, beating Justin Lau, 6-0, 6-3. Tate remains undefeated this spring after beating Robby Alexander, 6-4, 6-4. At No. 5 singles, Joerg Barthel defeated Keith Cronican, 6-2, 6-2, while Renato Melo breezed past Greg Ferry, 6-0, in the No. 6 spot.
In the match against Creighton, the Falcons won two of the three doubles matches and all six singles contests to blank the Jays. Buck (No. 1), Johnson (No. 2) and Alexander (No. 4) each posted a 6-0, 6-0 victory, while Cronican won the No. 5 match, 6-2, 6-0. The No. 6 match was the only one to go to three sets, and Ferry outlasted Joe Eckert, 6-2, 2-6, (10-5).
The Falcons return to action when they host Metro State on Sunday Feb. 26, beginning at 1 p.m. at the Academy's Indoor Courts.
Nebraska 6, Air Force 1
1. Shannon Buck (AF) def. Jerry Posch, 7-6 (2), 6-22. Adrian Szatmary (NU) def. Trevor Johnson, 6-4, ret.3. James Clow (NU) def. Justin Lau, 6-0, 6-34. Mark Tate (NU) def. Robby Alexander, 6-4, 6-45. Joerg Barthel (NU) def. Keith Cronican, 6-2, 6-26. Renato Melo (NU) def. Greg Ferry, 6-0, 6-2
1. Buck/Johnson (AF) def. Posch/Tate, 8-32. Szatmary/Barthel (NU) def. Lau/Cronican, 8-6 3. Navarro/Clow (NU) def. Alexander/Ryan White, 8-4
Air Force 7, Creighton 0
1. Shannon Buck (AF) def. Jose Guerra, 6-0, 6-0
2. Trevor Johnson (AF) def. Vinny Meens, 6-0. 6-0
3. Justin Lau (AF) def. Nikita Dudar, 6-2, 7-6(4)
4. Robby Alexander (AF) def. Eduardo Pignatari, 6-0, 6-0
5. Keith Cronican (AF) def. Joe Eckert, 6-3, 6-0
6. Greg Ferry (AF) def. Chris Miller, 6-2, 2-6, (10-5)
1. Buck/Johnson (AF) def. Meens/Eckert, 8-3
2. Guerra/Dudar (CU) def. Lau/Cronican, 8-4
3. Alexander/Ryan White (AF) def. Miller/Pignatari, 8-5