Falcons Edge Idaho State, 4-3
The Air Force men's tennis team won its third consecutive match, defeating Idaho State, 4-3, Saturday at the Academy. After dropping the doubles point, Air Force won four of the six singles matches to improve to 4-2 this season.
Seniors Shannon Buck and Trevor Johnson won at No. 1 doubles, defeating Marc Pijoan and Alan Mohadeb, 8-5. However, the Bengals won the other two doubles matches, including an exciting victory at No. 3, where Masimba Ruwo and Ryo Sakamoto defeated Falcon juniors Robby Alexander and Ryan White, 9-8.
In singles action, Air Force won at the top three spots, including a 7-5, 6-2 triumph by Buck at No. 1 singles over Pijoan. Johnson won the No. 2 match, defeating Pablo Garces, 6-1, 7-5, and junior Justin Lau beat Alex Danilkovich at No. 3, 7-6, 6-4. Junior Keith Cronican sealed the victory for Air Force by winning the No. 5 match, 6-1, 7-5, over Sakamoto.
The Falcons are back in action on Sunday, Feb. 19, when they play Nebraska and Creighton in Lincoln, Neb.
Air Force 4, Idaho State 3
1. Shannon Buck (AFA) def. Marc Pijoan - 7-5, 6-2
2. Trevor Johnson (AFA) def. Pablo Garces - 6-1, 7-5
3. Justin Lau (AFA) def. Alex Danilkovich - 7-6(5), 6-4
4. Masimba Ruwo (ISU) def. Robby Alexander - 7-5, 7-5
5. Keith Cronican (AFA) def. Ryo Sakamoto -- 6-1, 7-5
6. Alan Mohadeb (ISU) def. Greg Ferry -- 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. Buck/Johnson (AFA) def. Pijoan/Mohadeb - 8-5
2. Garces/Danilkovich (ISU) def. Lau/Cronican -- 8-5
3. Ruwo/Sakamoto (ISU) def. Alexander/Ryan White -- 9-8(3)