April 24, 2014
The Air Force men's tennis team's 2013-14 season came to an end Thursday with a 4-0 loss to New Mexico in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Mountain West Championships in Fresno, Calif. The second-seeded Lobos improved to 19-7 and will face third-seeded San Diego State on Saturday, while the seventh-seeded Falcons finish the campaign with a 13-12 overall record.
UNM took an early 1-0 lead by winning at No. 3 and 1 doubles. Andy Van der Vyver and Mads Hegelund posted an 8-4 win over junior Grant Taylor and freshman Lucas Fumagalli at the No. 3 spot. James Hignett and Samir Iftikhar clinched the point with an 8-4 victory over seniors Andy Jackson and Steven Young at the No. 1 position. The No. 2 match was then pulled off the court with AFA's duo senior Alex Grubbs and sophomore Jack McCullers trailing Hayden Sabatka and Rodolfo Jauregui 6-5.
The Lobos continued their momentum in singles as Iftikhar gave them a 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Jackson, while Hignett made it 3-0 by defeating Fumagalli 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5. Van der Vyver clinched the match for UNM with a 6-4, 6-4 triumph over Grubbs at No. 4.
The other three matches were halted at that time with Sabatka leading McCullers 7-6(9), 6-5 at No. 2 AFA's Young beating Jauregui 7-5, 1-3 at No. 3 and Hegelund ahead of sophomore Andrew Parks 6-4, 4-4 at No. 6.
"Our guys gave everything they could today, it was a hard fought match on both sides," said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. "We had a very good year and this year's seniors have a lot to be proud of. They have been the backbone of this program for the past four years and left a great legacy on Air Force tennis."
The Falcons posted their first winning season since 2006 and their 13 wins were the most in one season since winning 18 in 2005. Air Force also achieved its highest national ranking ever this season when they were ranked 63rd in late February.
(2) New Mexico 4, (7) Air Force 0
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Quarterfinals - Mountain West Men's Tennis Championships
1. James Hignett / Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Andy Jackson / Steven Young, 8-4
2. Hayden Sabatka / Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) vs. Alex Grubbs / Jack McCullers, 6-5 DNF
3. Andy Van der Vyver / Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Lucas Fumagalli / Grant Taylor, 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Andy Jackson, 6-2, 6-2
2. Hayden Sabatka (UNM) vs. Jack McCullers, 7-6(9), 6-5 DNF
3. Steven Young (AF) vs. Rodolfo Jauregui, 7-5, 1-3 DNF
4. Andy Van der Vyver (UNM) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-4, 6-4
5. James Hignett (UNM) def. Lucas Fumagalli, 6-2, 6-3
6. Mads Hegelund (UNM) vs. Andrew Parks, 6-4, 4-4 DNF
Order of finish: 1, 5, 4